Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"FREE WiFi for 12 months" with o2 - What's this?

Options
  • 16-06-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

On the o2 website for the 3G it says "FREE WiFi for 12 months", what do they mean by this? :confused:

Seeing as WiFi is free anyway, how is it only for 12 months?

I highly doubt they stop your iPhone from connecting to ANY WiFi networks after 12 months.

My best guess is that they have some kind of deal with an Irish WiFi provider called "Bitbuzz", at least that's what I'm half gathering from the site.

So after the 12 months your phone can still connect to all other WiFi networks, e.g. Home networks, non-Bitbuzz hotel networks, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I think its with bitbuzz and all there masts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Yes you iPhone can connect to any WiFi anytime. There is a deal done with BitBuzz so you can use their hotspots free. Normally you would need a subscription to use BitBuzz hot spots (nothing to do with iPhone). i.e. O2 & BitBuzz have partnered up to offer an additional service to iPhone users.
    You will find plenty of free WiFi hot spots in lots of Bars, Restaurants, etc. You can use these too.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Yes you iPhone can connect to any WiFi anytime. There is a deal done with BitBuzz so you can use their hotspots free. Normally you would need a subscription to use BitBuzz hot spots (nothing to do with iPhone). i.e. O2 & BitBuzz have partnered up to offer an additional service to iPhone users.
    You will find plenty of free WiFi hot spots in lots of Bars, Restaurants, etc. You can use these too.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Luckily I've only ever seen ONE Bitbuzz hotspot when browsing on my LG Renoir, so I think it's okay. :pac:

Like most hotels I've been to have their own WiFi in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

SirDarren wrote: »
    So after the 12 months your phone can still connect to all other WiFi networks, e.g. Home networks, non-Bitbuzz hotel networks, etc.

Nope - only if those networks are unsecured, or if they are secured, that you have been given or perhaps bought a password or wep key or you have obtained some kind of log-in details.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Simon201 wrote: »
    Nope - only if those networks are unsecured, or if they are secured, that you have been given or perhaps bought a password or wep key or you have obtained some kind of log-in details.

Yes thanks but that's clearly what I meant!

I'm a huge tech enthusiast so don't worry I know how WiFi networks work.

And most hotels have unsecured connections in my experience anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

needed just one more post for 25 posts yipee

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Sounds like a good deal as Bitbuzz is a complete ripoff.

I would have thought a free 1 or 2GB per month package would make more sense & be cheaper.

I'd hardly think bitbuzz are allowing O2 to use there WiFi for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Bitbuzz is a great idea, poorly executed. I'm in Limerick and this is what we have.

Delish Cafe Courtfield SC, Raheen, Limerick
    Delish Cafe Thomas St 52 Thomas St, Limerick
    Delish Castletroy Unit 1A, Castletroy Commercial Campus, Limerick
    Perys Glentworth Street, Limerick
    Statoil Caherdavin Caherdavin, Limerick
    Travelodge Castletroy Park Point, N7 Dublin Road, Castletroy
    Travelodge Limerick Ennis Road Roundabout, Limerick

About 2 additions over the year. Pathetic really. Dublin has over 100 spots.

Advertisement