Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Isopropyl Alcohol

Options
  • 16-06-2009 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where or if its possible to purchase Isopropyl alcohol in Ireland otc?

I read that it's great for cleaning LCD screens and the stuff they sell in PC World etc is only 10% Isopropyl and costs a fortune!

I intend to make my own solution with a 50% mix of distilled water.

I've inquired in pharmacies and been informed that they only have large 5-10 liter drums available and cannot supply those quantities to consumers.

It's somewhat ridiculous that a smaller amount is not available for household usage.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is the wrong forum for this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

You could try Sigma-Aldrich Ireland, they supply most universities and biotech companies, but I'm not sure you'll get the quantities you're looking for. Just google them.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Getting IPA is difficult, even for a university. They require a license to order it-so you will have little luck getting it for your own use.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

I used to get it in 500 ml containers from a local pharmacy until 2005 (don't need much of it since). Check a variety of pharmacies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I used to buy it in BOOTS

www.lennox.ie also sell chemicals

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Awesome, thanks guys. I managed to get a Pharmacist in Bradley's to order me a 500ml bottle in from Foran Chemicals.

It's surprising that Pharmacies don't actually stock it, the guy I was talking to said that quite a few people inquire about it for cleaning purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

Maplin sells IPA in 1 liter cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes, I used to tell them* it was cleaning cassette and video tape heads. (sometimes it was).

Bad idea on some coated LCD and CRT screens and especially lenses as it may remove any anti-glare coating. Read care instructions. Mild soapy water or non-alcohol baby-wipes may suit better.

I use it to degrease PCBs. I must get some as meths is not as good and has too high a water content, can cause corrosion. Pure Methanol would likely damage some plastics, never mind remove coatings.

I've also bought the 1l cans in Maplin about 6 months ago. Must get more.

Some plastics will absorb certain switch cleaning solvents and/or alcohols etc. Then months later start to crumble. The BBC had some expensive damage that way in mid 1970s.

(*Local village pharmacy. Worth being regular and they will order pretty much anything in for you that isn't obviously just for killing people. They probably won't sell you benzene any more, even it you claim it's for cleaning stamps. The scary, silly things in our youth.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

cianl1 wrote: »
    You could try Sigma-Aldrich Ireland, they supply most universities and biotech companies, but I'm not sure you'll get the quantities you're looking for. Just google them.

Think it is much easier to get than ethanol. Well here in UL anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭hitman_

My local chemist orders IPA in for me. Worth getting to know your local guy,

Advertisement