Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing your dog to England

Options
  • 16-06-2009 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I want to bring my puppy to England in August. I could bring him over in the car through Wales, but would ideally prefer not to drive. Does anyone know of a way I could bring a puppy into the UK without a car? I hear Aer Lingus doesnt carry animals to anywhere in Europe anymore which is annoying and a shame.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Might you be able to take your pup on the ferry?
    I was having a bit of a google so far all I have is http://www.aferry.ie/helpandinfo/AFRYfaq.asp
    or http://www.stenaline.ie/ferry/faqs/ check out the pet FAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I think you have to go by car by ferry, im nearly sure you cannot take a dog on the boat as a foot passenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

In the FAQ it says about not wanting to leave your dog in the car, and there's an option for a kennel?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yeah thats if you dont wanna leave the dog in the car though. Im nearly sure you cant just walk on with a dog as foot passenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

It may be different for each individual ferry but i have brought dog as a foot passenger several times.

If you have a very small dog or a pup in its own cage or carrier you can leave it in the luggage area which is more secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i bring my dog over by ferry every year ,the only dog that can go as foot passenger in a dog for the blind ect,you have to leave your dog on the car deck ,either in the kennels on the boat, or in your car,you cannot visit your dog during the trip, this is the same for all the ferry companies to ireland,if you dont want to leave your dog for too long ,go by the fast ferry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭wibblebee

Contact the ferry company e.g. irish ferries or stenaline. If you explain your circumstances that you arent travelling by car and as foot passenger and willing to put your dog in a kennel then they will get back to you. All ferries leave from Dublin Port to Holyhead.
    I have seen several foot passengers take their dog and leave in kennels. I was one with snakes and my snakes were placed into the kennels. Irish ferries have kennels inside the boat which as said previously you are not allowed to the kennel area when the ferry is moving. €5 for the key to the kennel and its refundable after end of trip.
    Aslong as the ferry company are full aware of a dog travelling with them then it should be ok. Best to contact them NOW.
    Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭funlovintapir

wibblebee wrote: »
    Contact the ferry company e.g. irish ferries or stenaline. If you explain your circumstances that you arent travelling by car and as foot passenger and willing to put your dog in a kennel then they will get back to you. All ferries leave from Dublin Port to Holyhead.
    I have seen several foot passengers take their dog and leave in kennels. I was one with snakes and my snakes were placed into the kennels. Irish ferries have kennels inside the boat which as said previously you are not allowed to the kennel area when the ferry is moving. €5 for the key to the kennel and its refundable after end of trip.
    Aslong as the ferry company are full aware of a dog travelling with them then it should be ok. Best to contact them NOW.
    Hope this helps.

thanks for that. just wondering, when did you travel with your snakes? the rules might have changed since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭funlovintapir

looserock wrote: »
    It may be different for each individual ferry but i have brought dog as a foot passenger several times.

If you have a very small dog or a pup in its own cage or carrier you can leave it in the luggage area which is more secure.

thanks looserock. what ferry did you go on and when did you last travel as a foot passenger with your dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

British Midland from Dublin. Aer arann from elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

thanks looserock. what ferry did you go on and when did you last travel as a foot passenger with your dog?

It was stena, rosslare to fishguard about a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Aer arrann do take dogs, also it's no problem on the ferries just tell them when booking. You can also bring dogs on the Train in the UK, call the train company before booking as some have one carriage for people with pets.
    Enjoy your hols.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭wibblebee

thanks for that. just wondering, when did you travel with your snakes? the rules might have changed since then.

TRAVELLED WITH IRISH FERRIES IN APRIL THIS YEAR. CONTACT THEM NOW AND WHEN BOOKING AND ALSO TELL THEM WHEN CHECKING IN BOTH DIRECTIONS, HOME AND IN HOLYHEAD

Advertisement