Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longboard Selection

Options
  • 16-06-2009 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Guys,
    I am a beginner surfer.
    I have a 7'10" NSP which I really enjoy.
    I live in Dublin and so can only get west on weekends and take whats there..
    I can stand up in waves of up to about 4 -5'.
    I have not mastered turning and am usually happy to ride to the shore (though I do want to get better with practice..)..
    I have decided to buy a longboard to try catch more summer waves as I miss lots with my current board..
    I am 5'8" tall and weigh 70kg.
    Is there much difference between longboards of different brands (same length and epoxy)?
    How do you find out what the differences are likely to be?
    Are certain brands easier to stand up on, faster, more stable?
    Could you recommend one for a beginner like me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Young30+ wrote: »
    Guys,
    I can stand up in waves of up to about 4 -5'.
    I have not mastered turning and am usually happy to ride to the shore (though I do want to get better with practice..)..
    I have decided to buy a longboard to try catch more summer waves as I miss lots with my current board..
    I am 5'8" tall and weigh 70kg.

For someone your weight a longboard will probably not make much more of a difference, especially if your problem is turning. Sure it will glide more and let you into a wave slightly earlier but it will be tougher to control and require more skill to turn.

I would recommend sticking with the NSP, get in the pool to strengthen up those paddling muscles and make the most of when you get down to the beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

For someone your weight a longboard will probably not make much more of a difference, especially if your problem is turning. Sure it will glide more and let you into a wave slightly earlier but it will be tougher to control and require more skill to turn.
    Why do so many posters on Boards.ie put so much regard on a person's weight determining the size board they should use?? I really can't get my head around it but am guessing that it is due to the dumb misleading sales pitches from so-called surf shop sales assistants when trying to shift their bulging stock of mini-mal Bics.
    Strange how people of differing sizes always find that the perfect board for 'em is once again another bloody 7'3" Bic.:rolleyes:

If this was the case then how the hell can the lovely likes of Belinda Baggs, Kassia Meador & a whole surf shack of other light weight lovlies longboard so damn well.
    Time spent surfing will benifit you more then pool time although other forms of exercise will of course benifit but remember your surfing not training for a triathlon.

If you want decent advice concerning longboard choice try contacting a shaper/manufacturer. Chops in Beach Beat, Conor in Waxon in Sligo, Mark in Powersource, Paul in Glide Surfboards in Limerick have impressed me of late with some of his boards.
    Try posting a query in Longboard Ireland, might as well ask those that longboard rather then just a mixed bag esp. when some seem to have strange prejudices/misconceptions concerning longboarding.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~longboardireland/new/index.html

IMO the original poster came across as a beginner looking to progress to some form of intermediate level surfer and was under the opinion that getting a longboard would improve his chances. It was pointed out that going longer may not necessarily improve his ability.

A person's weight is certainly a variable in determining the size/volume of a custom board, just ask any of shapers mentioned. In fact if the original poster went into them looking for a board for the criteria which he outlined they would be recommending a custom mini-mal, probably somewhat similar to the mass-produced NSP but homebuilt with more tradition and soul. Go ahead and ask them.

Obviously the main route to progress in surfing is to surf more plus a little fitness helps, ride whatever you want to ride.

I have decided to buy a longboard
    Seems the original poster wants to buy a Longboard.
    In fact if the original poster went into them looking for a board for the criteria which he outlined they would be recommending a custom mini-mal, probably somewhat similar to the mass-produced NSP
    That is not a Longboard.
    A person's weight is certainly a variable in determining the size/volume of a custom board, just ask any of shapers mentioned.
    I'll give you an example if I may. A 9ft Softop brought back from California by a 14st friend who lived there which was used both by him and myself upon his return, I'm only a little lighter then he is. This board has plenty of float & volume making it suitable for beginners.
    It's now being used by his young brother who is about 4st lighter then us. The board performs brilliantly and he's getting it to do stuff that we thought impossible including lots of nosetime.
    If he'd followed the general advice re board selection given on this website and by sales assistants in surf clothing shops he'd have ended up with another bloody 7'3" Bic and would'nt be progressing as fast as he is.

By Softop I mean the board below and not a big yellow foamie as used in surf schools.

http://www.surftech.com/boardDetails.php?bid=SURFBDS+%3A+S0116-0900-BE&type=SURFBDS&tech=Softops&shape=Longboard&skill=&weight=&rshape=&cond=&qual=

In my own case I use both a 10' log effectively an old 60's style board with gentle rails and plenty of volume and nice'n thick. Easy to work with in most waves until they start getting frisky.
    I also use a 9' Pearson Arrow longboard which is more performance orientated and is about an inch & half less thick then the ten footer and a world apart in regards to volume throughout its entire lenght.

http://www.arrowsurfshop.com/surfboards/long/performance.html

Strangely enough I don't go on a crash diet when going from one board to another, nor do I saw my legs off at the knees if I grab my 6'6" fish which I occasionally use.
    Instead I allow the conditions to decide or use what I have at hand.

There is no fixed ratio 'tween lenght & volume, one does not necessarily determine the other.

If the person is an experienced beginner then they should simply get a trad styled 9' - 9'4" longboard with generous volume and gentle rails. It'll allow them to catch a greater variety of waves, be a reasonable compromise between most aspects of Longboarding and serve as a general purpose board once they've progressed.
    Just my opinion which I'm sure all the Slator wanabes will ridicule and deride.
    Go ahead and ask them.
    Well I see that Glide posts here, how about you sharing your knowledge with us regarding this Paul?

Obviously the main route to progress in surfing is to surf more plus a little fitness helps, ride whatever you want to ride.

Forgot to mention that Outerbombie is spot on & riding what you want is always good just don't get misled by fashion.

• Advertisement

I'll concede, the longer the board the less a persons weight is going to factor into the equation.

If the o/p wishes to buy a longboard than grand. My advice, which I regretfully offered, was to hang on to the original board and surf more, going longer does not necessarily mean more waves.

O/p, talk to all the mentioned shapers, buy local, skip on epoxy foreign made soulless imitations, go at least 9 foot.

No regrets Outerbombie, discussion is always good, but thanks for mentioning the Buying Local, lots of good shapers in Ireland trying to make a living which are overlooked for better marketed and often rubbish. Good Point!!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Paul in Glide Surfboards in Limerick have impressed me of late with some of his boards
    havent heard about this guy, any info online or a website we could check out?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

if you are after a longboard go maximum of 9'2" as anything bigger will be hard to control in the water (safety wise)
    epoxy is more durable
    all the irish shapers do a beginners longboard, if you will look after the board get a fibreglass one from a shaper as in the long run it will last you much longer!

also check out my blog: http://allthingsglide.blogspot.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

also check out my blog: http://allthingsglide.blogspot.com/
    Man, those are some of the nicest looking boards ive seen in a long time, fair play man, some really cool designs there.

What kinda price do your longboards start at?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

Decos wrote: »
    Man, those are some of the nicest looking boards ive seen in a long time, fair play man, some really cool designs there.

What kinda price do your longboards start at?

thanks decos

my longboards start at €500
    i will have a couple more nice ones going on there in a few days! :D

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    Why do so many posters on Boards.ie put so much regard on a person's weight determining the size board they should use??

Sorry for digging up a semi-old thread but check out the following:

http://www.surfline.com/blog/entry.cfm?id=27888

I know, going longer a persons weight is certainly less of a factor but when going short it seems to be pretty important.

BTW, very nice boards Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Very informative article outerbombie!

Also really cool boards Paul, I love the black 6'4 fish(ratties board). If I had the cash I'd splash! ;)

Advertisement