Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing on the dole late?

Options
  • 16-06-2009 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi,

I finish working in my previous company on the 22nd of May and haven't signed on the dole yet. I am close to agree a contract with another company and hope to start around beginning of July.

Will I be eligible to claim the dole for the 5-6 weeks that I am out of job? Suppose the contract doesn't go through and I need to continue my job search, can I claim the dole from the 22nd of May, or have I lost these first few weeks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 JBL

Hi,

would someone be so kind to advise please? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 lovetoshop

JBL wrote: »
    Hi,

I finish working in my previous company on the 22nd of May and haven't signed on the dole yet. I am close to agree a contract with another company and hope to start around beginning of July.

Will I be eligible to claim the dole for the 5-6 weeks that I am out of job? Suppose the contract doesn't go through and I need to continue my job search, can I claim the dole from the 22nd of May, or have I lost these first few weeks?

You will need to sign on now or you will loose your stamps and you wont get money for a few weeks any way so as soon as you get a new job you just tell them they will still have to pay you back weeks. But most importantly Stamps!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

As above, sign on now regardless of when you are going to start working again.

lovetoshop wrote: »
    You will need to sign on now or you will loose your stamps and you wont get money for a few weeks any way so as soon as you get a new job you just tell them they will still have to pay you back weeks. But most importantly Stamps!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much! I am not really worried about when I get the money, I am more concerned about getting all the money for the weeks I have been out of work whenever they arrive.

How do the stamps work?

Thank you again.

Thank you so much! I am not really worried about when I get the money, I am more concerned about getting all the money for the weeks I have been out of work whenever they arrive.

How do the stamps work?

Thank you again.
    You will get all the money back dated they say it takes up to 2 weeks but realistically it could take more after you sign on they have to send you a letter. Your stamps cover you if you are out sick in the future and need to get social welfare sick benefit also if you need job seekers allowance again ect hopr this helps Im in the same boat.

• Advertisement

You will get all the money back dated they say it takes up to 2 weeks but realistically it could take more after you sign on they have to send you a letter. Your stamps cover you if you are out sick in the future and need to get social welfare sick benefit also if you need job seekers allowance again ect hopr this helps Im in the same boat.

Great, thank you. ;)

I got confirmation today that I will start the new job at the beginning of July - can I apply for the Dole for the 5 weeks I have been out of job even though I have got a new job now starting soon?

I got confirmation today that I will start the new job at the beginning of July - can I apply for the Dole for the 5 weeks I have been out of job even though I have got a new job now starting soon?

Well done! you are still unemployed until you start this job so yes do sign on asap and the day you start this job ring the social welfare to let them know.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Not necessarily - its up to the deciding officer if you get the backdated pay or not. If they feel you had good cause in delaying to make your claim they may backdate you.

I didnt sign on for a few weeks because I thought I would have a job soon and i told her I wasnt going to sign on , she told me that I was intitled and that it would be back dated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement