Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf - Differing Models

Options
  • 16-06-2009 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi,

I am moving to England in 2 weeks and have been doing research on buying a Golf while over there. Currently my Budget is in and around £3300 - £4000. Based on that budget I would be able to get 02/03 Golf with between 50k-70k miles which I am happy about.

Where I get confused is the different types of models between SDi, TDi, S, SE, GT etc... I looked at the VW website but it only has information about the current new models (unless I missed something).

Could somebody explain the difference between each of the SDi/TDi and the model types S, SE, GT etc...

Many thanks in advance,
    A confused Potato!:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Have a look on www.parkers.co.uk, the different models will be explained there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Spuddyspudster

Anan1 wrote: »
    Have a look on www.parkers.co.uk, the different models will be explained there.

Thank you very much - much easier to understand now!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Stay away from the Sdi. It's a non turbo diesel and about 68 bhp. The TDI then in generally 90bhp, and 1.9.

The S, AFAIK, is the baseline equivilant. The SE is the Comfortline, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

From memory, a/c was standard on a lot of UK models too.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

The SDi is a 2.0 straight diesel very economical but wouldn't pull you out of bed. I remember being told the TDi has 130bhp? Anyone verify this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The SDi is a 2.0 straight diesel very economical but wouldn't pull you out of bed. I remember being told the TDi has 130bhp? Anyone verify this?

The Sdi is a 1.9.

Over the years the Tdi had a 90, 105, 115, 130 and 150 bhp models.

The Sdi is a 1.9.

Sorry i'm thinking of the Mark 5 Sdi

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Sorry i'm thinking of the Mark 5 Sdi

Still a 1.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

It also says on that page that the fuel delivery is Turbo and the 0-60 is 11.3 seconds,is that the car comedy pages?

The original SDI in the mk5 was 1.9 then suddenly the were 2.0L,i some how doubt VW went back to the drawing board with the SDI and redesigned it,esp considering both have the same BHP of 74,it could be an emmissions thing.

This is a rare boards occasion where i am right and you too are right :D

11.3 seconds though that is some funny shiz :D

• Advertisement

I know someone that had one in England and it was a 2.0. Maybe the spec is different over there?

Also a more reputable link
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/228162/volkswagen_golf_20_sdi_s.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The old 1.9 diesel engine continued here in most vag models including turbo models to escape the old vrt rules where anything over 2000 cc was in a higher vrt bracket. As this didnt apply in uk, its very possible that they had a 2.0 sdi. We certainly didnt have it here though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It was a 2 litre alright, same one in the newer model caddy van

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

im fairly sure the 2.0 SDI is an import. some VW caddys here have the 2.0SDI but there rare ina golf now...

Advertisement