Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ancestors in France

Options
  • 16-06-2009 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

I want to check birth records in France for an ancestor who is believed to have been born there.

Most of the sites are in french and a lot of them request a specific region for the search.

Any ideas how I can track down this one French relative?? All I have is a name, albeit an unusual one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

its a toughie, are you just basing this off a surname? thing is its likely to be a quite distant ancestor perhaps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Try searching here - the Rootschat board for Europe.
    http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,135.0.html

People there should know how to point you in the right direction. However, it might be easier to trace backwards. Where did the ancestor first appear in Ireland, etc?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Thanks for the replies.

Well it was Irish all the way up until this woman appeared out of nowhere, marrying my great (x3) grandfather. They were married in Dublin, two days after Christmas and with no witnesses listed....I'm slightly suspicious :pac: I never found a birth cert or anything relating to her family in the Irish records.

The French connection only appeared yesterday. I'm registered with Geni.com and was using it to arrange my family tree. I hadn't looked at it in ages but when I was browsing through it yesterday it said they had a "similar profile" registered. I clicked it and up popped this profile with her picture and everything! It's definitely her because it has her husband and the correct names of the children. It was uploaded by a distant and previously unknown relative in New Jersey in the US. She says an uncle of hers told them that this woman was born in France.

I know stories can change over the years and perhaps it's not completely accurate but I would like to see if I can find anything. The name is definitely not Irish, and doesn't even sound French. It's LANGSTAFF. It's a very English-sounding name but after looking up the history of the surname it wasn't a particularly widespread name either. Most Langstaffs exist(ed) in England or Canada.

I will try that Roots website!

Advertisement