Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A potential problem- need some help

Options
  • 16-06-2009 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

I may have just come across a potential problem for myself come going into college. I was just getting forms for exemption of Irish for NUI colleges, and I noticed on the Age At Entry:
    Students must normally have attained the age of seventeen years by 15 January following entry to a Constituent University or Recognised College of the University. Where a candidate below that age seeks to enter a Constituent University or Recognised College, special application must be made to the President/Director of the institution concerned.
    Problem part in bold. I was 17 as of February the 16th. Will this result in myself potentially not being able to enter NUIG/M?
    I think I'm fine for DCU; I remember checking before and I was grand. But in the event I don't get DCU(My first choice), will I be potentially college-less come September? :/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Doesn't the "following" bit imply that you need to be 17 by January 2010? So I'd say you're fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

Ya once you are 17 by the time january 2010 comes arounf you are ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah mate, its next year, your almost a year old.

Fair play on taking the LC so young. I am 18 in August I thought I was doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

It probably is; I just wasn't completely sure. Thanks for clearing it up with me regardless! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

yep its fine:) Its you must turn atleast 17 by that date during your first year, your grand:)
    I had that problemo too because i turned 17 on 4th Feb, but i spoke to my careers guidance teacher and he explained it! your grand:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Don't worry about it! sure I'm not even 17 yet:rolleyes: As long as you were/are before January 2010,you're set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Your not that young atall for the leavin most people in my year are around the same age.. Theres one guy who isnt 17 til the end of august!

Your not that young atall for the leavin most people in my year are around the same age.. Theres one guy who isnt 17 til the end of august!
    Well then your year is quite young! Bar myself, I don't think I know of anyone in my year younger than myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

I suppose it depends who does and doesnt do TY we don't even get the chance.
    I looked at that age thing too and thought it affected me until i got corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

I didn't do 4th year but i'm still quite old, as i'm 18 in august, but there's a guy in my year who is 17 in september !!! quite mad!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

MrPirate wrote: »
    Well then your year is quite young! Bar myself, I don't think I know of anyone in my year younger than myself!

Most people dont do ty in my school so thats probably why

Most people dont do ty in my school so thats probably why
    We only got TY in our school this year so none of us had the chance to do it. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

MrPirate wrote: »

Thats insane :eek:
    My friend only turned 17 there a few days before the LC!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

A girl in my year only turned 16 in March :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Jay P wrote: »
    A girl in my year only turned 16 in March :eek:

then she will have a problem going to college next year, the age rule applies in her case.

Our year is a mix of ages some did T.Y and others didn't so we have one girl that's 19 nearly 20, and then girls that won't be 17 until next December?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

You guys must have serious jailbait problems when you go out as a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

I've noticed this in French/Irish colleges over the years - students outside of Dublin seem to be much younger?? Is that just in my head?

I'm 19 (in Dublin) and at this stage there are a good few who are 19 aswel. Not many left who aren't 18 anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

then she will have a problem going to college next year, the age rule applies in her case.

Oh yeah, of course, but she isn't exactly "college material", ie. She won't be going to uni.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

I've noticed this in French/Irish colleges over the years - students outside of Dublin seem to be much younger?? Is that just in my head?

I'm 19 (in Dublin) and at this stage there are a good few who are 19 aswel. Not many left who aren't 18 anyway!!

Eh no. think it's just in your head :P
    I'm 18 (and live in the country), and some of my friends are 19, and others 16/17. Just depends on transition year. It's optional for us, and there is only ever one class so the majority are 17 by leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

errlloyd wrote: »
    Yeah mate, its next year, your almost a year old.

Fair play on taking the LC so young. I am 18 in August I thought I was doing well

you thought you were doing well? one of my friends is 16, 17 in august :pac: I'm 18 in october and I thought that I was old!

• Advertisement
Advertisement