Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big question

Options
  • 16-06-2009 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hello there. I would be grateful for feedback on 'the best arrows' available for recurve archers. As I am probably heading towards my max draw weight I want to buy the best quality arrows as I dont intend on changing. Could ye please tell me , putting the price aside, what would be the most accurate arrow to use for recurve, ( x10s, mckinneys, ace, etc ) . thanks in advance.
    Is there a market leader and if so why ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Aryzel

Depends on a few details, what is the longest distance you shoot, what poundage(on your fingers) do you pull.

Easton - ACE - are extremely light and generally the best for most archers.
    Easton - X10 - are heavier but thinner than ACE's so drift less, but to be better than ACE's at 90m you really need to be pulling 45+ lbs, roughly.
    Carbon Express - Nano Pro - are all carbon, super light, also super expensive, if you have the money and are sure you will NEVER miss the target at maximum distance then these are the best. They can be hard to get hold of though, not in all that many shops, have a look here, (https://www.bowsports.com/acatalog/CX_-_Nano_Pro_-_Shafts.html). Also if you do go for them, look at http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/images/2009_Arrow_Guide.pdf for spine, as it does be somewhat different than A/C arrows.

Bear in mind, that any of the above arrows are easily capable of shooting 1300 scores. So generally I'd recommend ACE's to give you excellent sight marks and focus on your form. However if you are already shooting high scores at 90m(270+) and have a lot of cash to burn, then pick the Nano Pro's (ACE's will come to around €290 for 12, Nana-Pro's will be €470 for 12, from bowsports.com, that as cheap as I think you can get them)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭soontobesmokin

Thanks for that. You certainly helped in pointing me in the correct direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

It depends entirely on what you want your arrows to do:

What's your draw length? Poundage? How are your sight marks? Are you comfortably reaching 90 metres?

I shoot McKinney IIs, as I have quite a long draw length; the MKIIs are light, allowing me to maintain a decent FOC (point weight) without my sight marks getting too low.

I've shot 1100s with ACEs and Cartel Triples (although 90m was a bit of a squeeze with the Triples). The ACEs are likely a better arrow from a weight perspective; I've no information on what advantage the barreling of the ACE has over the parallel Triple.

I have no direct experience with the Nano Pro, but there is a former USAT member on ArcheryTalk who thinks they are the best thing ever, so they be worth a look.

I've never shot X10s (never could justify the price), they're smaller and heavier than an equivalent ACE, giving apparent better downrange stability, presumably at the cost of sightmarks.

As Dermot said, most higher-end arrows will shoot just fine; it's a matter of picking the arrow that scratches an itch.

Cheers

Ewan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 HansEbert

the opinion of the national coach is that in x10s against aces he would pick aces... he gave the example of his son sending away 24 x10s to be checked for quality... 8 came back, not to mention aces shot the indoor world record!!! lol well michele frangilli shot the world record but those were the arrows he used. mckinneys n carb xpress id say for if u have trouble with a sightmark.
    To quote the coach however... the differences will only be felt by 1350+ shooters... lol

I personally shoot x10s... cuz they're nice

Advertisement