Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any predictions for applied maths?

Options
  • 16-06-2009 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭

:D any tips?

i really should have dropped it, decided not to :o and i don't want to fail it..i need a pass...

what should i look over ?

i am doing Q1,Q2,Q3,Q4,Q5,Q8

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

i am doing higher maths, no physics...i did it with a friend, she said she was the only girl and dragged me doing it with her..then she went repeat 5th yr..lol..

i got 40 in the pres and i did nothing ...and i didn't do much since then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

You've got a good bit of time between now and the exam, if you spend 10 hours a day studying for it you'll have 5 hours per question. Just hit the past papers, spend five hours doing as many question 1's as possible, then 5 hours doing question 2's etc.
    Use examinations.ie for help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

~Candy~ wrote: »
    :D any tips?

i really should have dropped it, decided not to :o and i don't want to fail it..i need a pass...

what should i look over ?

i am doing Q1,Q2,Q3,Q4,Q5,Q8

thanks in advance

Have a look at question 10 also, even just for back up if one of your chosen ones is a stinker.

Part (a) is always just a simple differential equation and an almost guaranteed 20 marks if you've done integration in maths.

Part (b) can be more challenging, but if you can follow the chain rule, the rest isn't too bad. The main difficulty is trying to create the equation.

G'luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jelomulawin

u can't really predict the question, lol, after all, the questions are straight-forward anyway...actually, applied maths isn't really all that hard. i thought it was harder than maths back then, coz i didn't study it seriously, but with effort and hardwork, it will be easy. u still have 3 days from now to study, i'm just studying it just now myself,...I think I'll be doing 1-5, and 7 or 10...just straight_As posted, cover Q10 just in case...you'll not fail it, i assure u, i did it on mocks, barely studied it, thought i'd fail it, but strangely enough, i passed it...just focus and you'll get it on your head...gud luck on the friday exam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

Have a look at question 10 also, even just for back up if one of your chosen ones is a stinker.

Part (a) is always just a simple differential equation and an almost guaranteed 20 marks if you've done integration in maths.

Part (b) can be more challenging, but if you can follow the chain rule, the rest isn't too bad. The main difficulty is trying to create the equation.

G'luck!
    Agreed, I'm preparing for Q1,Q2,Q3,Q4,Q5,Q8 and Q10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AndyWhite

Just keep doing past papers. If you hit one you cant figure out, post up here and ask for a tip or a solution. Chances are someone will be online and reply to you pretty quickly!
    If this subject got the same amount of time as my other subjects itd be a guaranteed A1. Its pretty simple if you put in some practice.
    Good luck anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

thanks guys..i am starting now -_- ..abit late but..ya

thanks to your all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Q1 - Linear Acceleration
    Q2 - Relative Velocity
    Q3 - Projectiles
    Q4 - Forces/Pulleys
    Q5 - Collisions
    Q6 - Circular Motion/Simple Harmonic Motion
    Q7 - Statics
    Q8 - Rigid Body Rotation
    Q9 - Hydrostatics
    Q10 - Differential Equations

And that's all you can really predict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

The ONE thing I'm leaving out is Torque questions in Q8, it came up last year and we rushed through it in class, so I never got around to looking at it properly.

The fact that it's the only part of one of the questions which I can't do probably means it will come up tomorrow!

But like as exams go Applied Maths isn't predictable, which is a good thing in some respects, keeps you on your toes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Stages of motion in q1 maybe/ single wedge/relative acc in q4.

Perp landing in q2.

Thingy rolling down in q8.

Rivers/currents in q2.

Its so hard to predict, our teacher (we had 4 hour class today) gave us a list of all the sub topics and the year they were last asked, so perhaps he said looking at some of them you might know. Although they really could ask anything, cover 7 questions and you should be grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement