Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sniper in Dublin, According to Evening Herald

Options
  • 16-06-2009 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

There has been another thread about this in AH, but it was closed by a mod, presumably because it devolved into a discussion on different ways of attacking people from afar.

Nonetheless, I find it odd that the front of the Evening Herald ran a story last night, 15th June, about a sniper in the Pearse Street area who had shot four people over the last few days.

Now there are no reports anywhere else about it, not even in the Herald AM this morning.

Anyone else see the paper? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Saw the headline at traffic lights yesterday evening but as you say there's no mention on their website, Herald AM or any other media that I could find. I initially thought that they had either been duped or misunderstood something and to save face pulled the story from their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

The way I see it is if this were true it would be plastered all over RTÉ and even sky news.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Just to clarify, The Herald claimed it was someone using an air rifle rather than a firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

Yeah the person was firing an air rifle. Not an airsoft rifle mind - a target rifle. Coincidence that the D.U.R.C. (Dublin University Rifle Club) headquarters at TCD are just beside Pearse Street? I think not...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

18 year old arrested in the city centre in relation to this

He's being held in Pearse Street Garda Statrion, Section 30 of the Offences against the State Act

he can be questioned for up to 72 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

It is true because the litte pr!ck nearly hit me with it two weeks ago, and walking by the same spot a few days later I could hear pot shots been taken at a guy walking by an aluminium shutter and the pellts were poping off the shutter. There were emails being sent around our company as the Gaurds from pearse street advised people not to walk along the street and they were trying to find the culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yeah the person was firing an air rifle. Not an airsoft rifle mind - a target rifle. Coincidence that the D.U.R.C. (Dublin University Rifle Club) headquarters at TCD are just beside Pearse Street? I think not...
    I think otherwise.
    You would too if you knew anything about how DURC operates :D

And I seriously doubt it was a target rifle. I can't see some lowlife liek this spending 1,800 euro to buy a Feinwerkbau P700 to shoot at people with - and I really can't see people not being hospitalised if hit by a pellet from one. Nor can I see it being one of the break-barrel air rifles you'd find in most firearms dealers, since they fire even heavier ball bearings and are generally used for hunting things from rats to rabbits - get shot in the face with one of those and you are going to the A&E department.

To be honest though, it's the Herald. Not exactly the paper of record. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be some kid with a catapult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

where was he shooting from i wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Shark it was'nt a kid shooting with a catapult. I know jack sh1t about guns but he was firing from a pellet gun, he was firing them from the roof pearse street flats. He got caught by a pizza delivery guy, he shot at him and he recognised him called the gaurds, who went up and arrested him, was talking to the local shop keeper who knew the fool and he said he got the pellet gun off the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 drjenbren

Sorry to say that the story is true, One of my friends is one of the four people who were hit. He ended up having surgery to remove the pellet, which was embedded behind his kneecap. Is on crutches for the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

I started another thread on this but it got locked.

I actually was talking to a cop who works that beat, said the fella had been at it a few weeks and there were two serious injurys, one involving a pellet being lodged in a kneecap whihc another poster mentioned and another unfortunate had a pellet pass clean through the flesh on her arm!

Those guns are relativily silent and on a busy street with traffic noise one wouldnt know they were being shot at until you heard the pellet impact an object close by or hit you dead on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

drjenbren wrote: »
    Sorry to say that the story is true, One of my friends is one of the four people who were hit. He ended up having surgery to remove the pellet, which was embedded behind his kneecap. Is on crutches for the next few weeks.

Thats awful, I hope your friend is ok. What a feckin cowardly thing to do. I have been on Mercer St. a few times and had things land on the footpath beside me. I finally saw a few weeks ago where it was coming from. A few little 7-8 year old urchins on top of Stephens Green S.C. I called the Gardai, but they may have seen me seeing them. Little ****heads like that need to realise that doing crap like that can have serious consequences.

Advertisement