Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bic board vs anything else?

Options
  • 15-06-2009 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Are bics total sh1t compared to a fibreglass boards. are fibreglass boards heavier than plastic? does this mean they are not as bouyant but more stable in the water?anyone gone from a 7,3 bic to a "real" board?, is it just a surf snob thing to look down on bic or is it founded?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

rothai wrote: »
    Are bics total sh1t compared to a fibreglass boards. are fibreglass boards heavier than plastic? does this mean they are not as bouyant but more stable in the water?anyone gone from a 7,3 bic to a "real" board?, is it just a surf snob thing to look down on bic or is it founded?

As in any walks of life, there are dudes or gals who 'pose' with the usual rubbish about this or that or posturing or posing without being able to do feck all themselves anyway, not just with surfing but with loads of different things. If you're starting, there are some good threads here regarding what you need to do so follow that advice, I'm only surfing a year so can't really advise you because I don't know enough except to advise not to worry about anyone raving about 'real' anything. Only you can decide what is real for you.

Aren't you giving it a blast and that's all that matters. Posers in every aspect of life are easy to overtake after about 3 weeks anyway. Good luck horse.:D

Sorry I didn't answer any of your questions ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

There is a huge difference between the boards but if ya can't surf a Bic ya ain't going to surf a real board. Having said that I think Bics are crap compared to the 9ft Softop I first used.

Worst surfers are the kooks that rush off and get themselves a 6' something shortboard then never catch a wave but instead just sit inside getting in the way of everyone and gawking gormlessly at you as you scoot along wondering just when they are going to make an effort to get the **** out'a the way. Can't understand why so many handicap themselves just for the sake of fashion.

Last decent session I had 'bout 3 weeks ago one of the surfers making the most of the headhigh+ conditions was riding an old beat up 7'3" Bic. But it was down to the rider rather then the board.... which I guess reinforces my original point.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 surfbored

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    if ya can't surf a Bic ya ain't going to surf a real board

Well put Cecil. Bics are great for learning coz they're cheap and can take so much abuse. They're probably the best starter board, as long you get one big enough. When you're able to stand easily and consistently on the bic, then try a 'real' board, you'll notice a big difference.

A novice wouldn't know what to look for in a more expensive board until he/she can at least get standing.

Don't worry about 'looks' either, I love watching someone on a bic outsurfing some to$$er on an expensive custom.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

thanks lads,thinking along the same lines. Im all for enjoying myself which is the main thing in any sport, board doesn't effect enjoyment factor

Advertisement