Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended reading

Options
  • 15-06-2009 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

(Apologies - I'm sure you have seen too many of these)

I am just starting out - I spend enough time staring, and would like to know what I'm looking at.

Can you recommend some reading to me? I would like to know where everything is, some theory, and some of the practicalities of observation.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

For a beginner, only one book comes to mind: Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time. It was written specifically for the general audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Thanks for the suggestion, have read and enjoyed! Can you recommend something on the technical end of viewing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pablodublin07

If you want to learn you need a book that contains the sky charts month by month, many of them have some chapters about history, equipment, observing tips, the human eye, etc.
    If you go to a bookstore you should be able to find something for under $15.
    Important points: monthly sky charts ,charts for the main constellations, no fold out pages (they aren't easy to use in the dark or with gloves) and big print in the charts because at night you need to use a very dim red light to read them.And if possible plasticized covers.

Try to find Skywatching from David Levy, that one is very complete.

Pablo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 woodsideplumber

efla wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion, have read and enjoyed! Can you recommend something on the technical end of viewing?

stargazing........ best book you can buy........ waterstones

Advertisement