Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official 'I give up' thread.

Options
  • 15-06-2009 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Poured every last fibre of my being into studying physics for the past four weeks. I knew that course inside out.

Got to the exam.

Froze.

Forgot definitions.

Fecked.

Chemistry and Spanish tomorrow, and I haven't a hope for either. I haven't done a bit of study and I'm so tired that there is no point. Goodnight folks, goodnight Leaving Cert !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Jeebus wrote: »
    Poured every last fibre of my being into studying physics for the past four weeks. I knew that course inside out.

Got to the exam.

Froze.

Forgot definitions.

Fecked.

Chemistry and Spanish tomorrow, and I haven't a hope for either. I haven't done a bit of study and I'm so tired that there is no point. Goodnight folks, goodnight Leaving Cert !

just study for those exams tomarrow...it will be worth it.I stayed up until 3.30 before the infamous english paper 2,went to bed.....woke up again at 5.30 to continue studying till about 9.15 and i cycled down to school.Ill never forget the feeling i got when i saw bishop and cc on the paper.Was it worth it?Oh ya!!!!!:):):):(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Don't give up - it happens more often than you'd think. I had an awful time with going blank in exams, honestly, completely blank. Then I'd panic and then I'd get upset, then I'd look around and see everyone writing and I'd be like oh sssssssshugar...
    But you just need to calm yourself, close your eyes for a few minutes, don't think of the exam paper/question you just looked at and focus on your breathing. See if that helps any.
    Don't give up, even if you didn't do too well on this paper doesn't mean you should give up on the rest.

Brick walls are there for a reason. They let us prove how badly we want things.

/Randy Pausch

I've been in a few exam situations where I look at the paper and go 'oh crap'. What you've to do is dig deep, and take time to look over things carefully, and answer everything as detailed as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

that happened to me i seriously sat there thinking i knew nothing as she handed out the papers

i think a good approach to take in that situation is just take the questions as they come, i didnt read through physics because i was afraid of what was next but youll soon realise after two years you knwo more the you think

forget about it now physics is done - focus on the best prep for tomorrow

if your that tiered maybe your best option would be bed now, its no good going into an exam tiered, get at least 7 hours sleep, if you go to bed now you could be up at around 3ish study from 3 till morning then you have two hours between exams - bring water a bit of fruit and a sandwich or something eat these while you look over things for the next exam in a quiet place away from all your friends these two hours can be crucial!

alls not lost focus on the positives - its nearly over & your probably loooking back on your other exams doubting how well you did

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

the reason imo the leaving cert is implemented is to make students do exactly what your doing. DOUBT ONESELF....imo the exam board are nothing but **** who are only out to trick students.

Physics is over and done with dwelling on it isn't going to do you any good.
    Get to bed and have a good night's sleep. you'd be surprised how well things actually look over night. if your up for 7 am you have hours of solid study there and that is a very important period to learn things. as someone said focus on it question by question not as a whole as once again it will throw you.

afterall it's over tomorrow so just give it a good whack and wait til august and see how you got on. don't be presumptuous either based on what you answered and didn't answer. I Wish you all the best tomorrow and hope you snap out of the trance this **** of an exam period has thrown you into.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Thanks a lot everyone.

Had a lie down for a few hours, I was quite crushed after physics went the way it did.

Feel a bit better now, having a look at some past chemistry papers, in fact !

Thanks again everyone, the exams really take it out of you ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Never do a post-mortem on an exam, it only makes you think that you did badly.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Had a lie down for a few hours, I was quite crushed after physics went the way it did.

glad to hear it! i really hope it goes well tomorrow, if you get stuck try the question by question thing it really helps me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Thanks a lot everyone.

Hey man, I know how you feel. Same happened to me in DCG.

Just hang in for a few more days and your free!!

I think everyone is starting to feel a bit isolated and alone from all the hours of study. (Thank you boards for saving me from the worst of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

VinnyTGM wrote: »
    Never do a post-mortem on an exam, it only makes you think that you did badly.
    +1
    You'll get that in college too, people rushing out to check their books and telling you what was right/wrong.
    Don't think about it, move on you cannot change anything.
    Forget about any exam that went badly, do as much as you possibly can before each exam and make best use of your time.
    When the results come out you'll know, whatever the result, that you did all you could.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Errlloyd just made me realize how much boards actually helped- anyone else think they would have gone a bit crazy if they didnt have during the grueling exams, i havnt really been talking to anyone else other then my closest friends and family - deleted my facebook so that social contact was impossible

I didn't even delete the facebook and I nearly went insane, but like before the leaving I would see my friends like 2 hours a day at least three times a week outside school. I haven't properly done anything with them since the Heino Cup Final.

I am lonely :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I hate that none of my friends do any of the same subjects as me :( I never got to see any of them during the exams I've done and they're all finished ages now. Being so close to the end it's hard to even think about the exams,never mind work for them. Gotta keep trying to rally myself up,though :rolleyes:

set it up as a thread - was trying to do that in the first place :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

I keep telling myself that in 2 days this'll be behind me to avert worrying about the mind**** that will be both economics and classics on wednesday.

Why oh why did I end up with my last day being by far my hardest:(

Advertisement