Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rail and Sail: London Euston-Dublin Port

Options
  • 15-06-2009 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you can you buy rail and sail tickets from London Euston (or any other station) on the day you are travelling? Or do you have to buy them in the station or over the phone in advance?

Have looked on Irish Ferries, Stena, Virgin Trains and done lots of googling but can't find an answer to the above. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It seems buying them from the rail companies works out cheapest. The Irish Rail travel centre in Abbey Street used to deal with them, but I understand they are now somewhere in Connolly Station.

Search for threads here - there have beena few recent ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Yes you can buy the ticket on the day at the rail station from where you are travelling.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

KevR wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can you buy rail and sail tickets from London Euston (or any other station) on the day you are travelling?

Yes, you can walk in to London Euston and buy a Rail&Sail ticket on the day of travel. I've done so twice. No booking needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Don't even think of Rail Sail on a Saturday, :eek:

The UK carries out its engineering works most weekends shutting down the main arteries. Last month it took me almost 8 hours to get to London, via Birmingham on various local commuter trains.

Don't even think of Rail Sail on a Saturday, :eek:

The UK carries out its engineering works most weekends shutting down the main arteries. Last month it took me almost 8 hours to get to London, via Birmingham on various local commuter trains.

The engineering works are diminishing however, but it's always best to go onto www.nationalrail.co.uk in advance and check out what works are planned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

KC61 wrote: »
    The engineering works are diminishing however, but it's always best to go onto www.nationalrail.co.uk in advance and check out what works are planned.
    Still be prepared for the worst, we were waiting over an hour at Holyhead until a two carriage railcar arrived, I was lucky to scramble for a seat, those that didn't stood most of the entire journey and it stopped at almost every station until it reached Birmingham. A good tip is to check if their is a Virgin Express rather than Arriva direct from the port. I had no probs on the mid week return leg, under 5 hours from Euston.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I am travelling on a Saturday; I just checked for engineering works and as it stands at the moment there won't be any works effecting my journey but I'll check again before I travel. Also, the train I'll be travelling on will be a direct service (4 hours) by Virgin - no changes in Chester or Crewe. :)

One more thing, does anyone know if it's the normal ticket desk in London Euston that I would go to for the ticket or is it a different one? The reason I ask is because when I did a rail and sail before from Galway station it was a different ticket desk (which was very hard to find; especially when the woman at the normal ticket desk was a right unhelpful bitch when I asked her where it was).

It should be the normal ticket counter at Euston.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Just as a matter of interest how much is charged for a rail/sail Euston- Dublin?

Brings back memories of the 1960s and 1970s when this was the main way real people travelled between London and Dublin. Long rail journies through north wales haning out the window going past Conway Castle and the endless caravan parks on the North Wales Coast. Times have changed. Enjoy your journey!

From Britain:
    GBP 29 single or GBP 58 return

From Ireland:
    EUR 44 single or EUR 88 return

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

£29 single.

It would be cheaper to fly (£11 with no bags) but the reason I'll be taking the train and ferry back to Dublin is that my brother is finished college in London for the summer and is moving home. I'm flying over to help him bring back all his stuff - it'd be far too much to bring on a plane or for one person to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

KevR wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help everyone!

I am travelling on a Saturday; I just checked for engineering works and as it stands at the moment there won't be any works effecting my journey but I'll check again before I travel. Also, the train I'll be travelling on will be a direct service (4 hours) by Virgin - no changes in Chester or Crewe. :)

One more thing, does anyone know if it's the normal ticket desk in London Euston that I would go to for the ticket or is it a different one? The reason I ask is because when I did a rail and sail before from Galway station it was a different ticket desk (which was very hard to find; especially when the woman at the normal ticket desk was a right unhelpful bitch when I asked her where it was).

Yep try and make sure that you get the Virgin - decent trains as well compared to the regional stop everywhere ones that will land you with the delights of Chester and/or Crewe whilst waiting for connections!!!!

Brgds
    Johnny

Advertisement