Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trim Swift Festival - Satire is Dead

Options
  • 15-06-2009 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Folks,

The Trim Swift Festival is running this year from July 2nd - 5th. There's going to be a host of media types, academics, social commentators, comediens like nob nation, and politicians trashing out a few issues in the In honour of that, I'd like to start a discussion on satire and its role in politics today?

For what it's worth I believe that we've enough material for satire on this island to sustain thousands of satirists.

Are the Irish good at satire or do we prefer to just complain!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

We have a winner already methinks (if a winner there need be that is) in the bunker video....linked on the elections thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 oslosinclair

Valentia wrote: »
    We have a winner already methinks (if a winner there need be that is) in the bunker video....linked on the elections thread!

Very funny. It went town a treat across all parties!

see you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I see on the web site some of the images from last year in the gallery.

What is the crack with the Tanoy Debate in the castle car park? Looks like an election rally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 oslosinclair

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I see on the web site some of the images from last year in the gallery.

What is the crack with the Tanoy Debate in the castle car park? Looks like an election rally?

Le puss-noir,

Last year was a debate on Lisbon as it was the pressing issue of the day. Simpler times! We had Mairead McGuiness, local solicitor Paul Moor and Dick Roche on the 'yes' side. Joe Higgins, Declan Ganley and Finian McGrath, I think it was, on the No. So we'd loads of politicial posters covering the trailer. George Hook moderated. good fun. too small a turnout though. We need a few more this year.

This year, we're going for the 'Blame Game' where participants can lay the blame for our current situation at the feet of whoever. They'll be judged on originality, satire, and the quality of their solutions. there'll be questions from the crowd like last year and the crowd will be asked to decide on the winner.

The lineup this year is, so far,: George Hook, John Waters, Senator Mark Daly, Joan Burton, Marylou McDonald. We've a few others in the pipeline also.

There'll be a fair day beforehand with family activites. And after, 'nob nation' and 'the emergency' will do a comedy night in the GAA club. It'll be a bit of crack. To book tickets www.trimswiftfestival.com

Advertisement