Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Itunes + New Computer

Options
  • 15-06-2009 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Changed my computer recently and am wondering if its possible to do either of these two things?

1. Transferred my entire library onto an external harddrive and now have it hooked up to the pc, but is it possible to import that library into itunes on the new pc???

2. What do i have to do to get my ipod to work with it???

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

population wrote: »
    Changed my computer recently and am wondering if its possible to do either of these two things?

1. Transferred my entire library onto an external harddrive and now have it hooked up to the pc, but is it possible to import that library into itunes on the new pc???

2. What do i have to do to get my ipod to work with it???

Cheers

Copy your complete iTunes folder to the same default location on the new machine and all should be okay. The folder has to contain everything (xml files etc etc) and not just the music files. Simple as that!

You will also need to authorise that new machine in iTunes if you have rights managed purchases from the iTunes store. BTW, unauthorise the old machine if no longer using it as you can authorise a max of 5 computers to one iTunes account.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Or if you have it on the external, open iTunes, go into preferences>advanced and you can specify there where your iTunes music is kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

whiterebel wrote: »
    Or if you have it on the external, open iTunes, go into preferences>advanced and you can specify there where your iTunes music is kept.

What difference would that make? Does it mean I can import from the external hard drive??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Copy your complete iTunes folder to the same default location on the new machine and all should be okay. The folder has to contain everything (xml files etc etc) and not just the music files. Simple as that!

You will also need to authorise that new machine in iTunes if you have rights managed purchases from the iTunes store. BTW, unauthorise the old machine if no longer using it as you can authorise a max of 5 computers to one iTunes account.

I assume it has all them files when it was put into the extern, though not 100 per cent positive because I am not very computer savvy tbh.

How do I know what location it was on the old Pc, I think it was just on the c drive and the itunes I downloaded to this machine is on the c drive also.....

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

population wrote: »
    I assume it has all them files when it was put into the extern, though not 100 per cent positive because I am not very computer savvy tbh.

How do I know what location it was on the old Pc, I think it was just on the c drive and the itunes I downloaded to this machine is on the c drive also.....

Open to correction as I use a mac myself, but on a PC if you go to your My Documents folder, inside it should be a My Music folder which contains the iTunes Folder. This is the default location unless you have changed it in the settings. Copy the iTunes folder from there to the same location on the new PC.

I personally would recommend using an external drive or networked drive for your iTunes folder. If the drive becomes disconnected iTunes will have error signs next to tracks as it cannot find them and will more than likely create a new iTunes folder without your preferences. This can be easily fixed but is a pain none the less.

• Advertisement
Advertisement