Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Factory Unlocked Iphone 3GS

Options
  • 15-06-2009 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

* Mods if this has already been asked apolgies

I want to buy the new iphone but I dont want to have anything to do with o2 ( Have had problems with them in the past). So im looking on phonesonline.ie and they say they will have the new iphone factory unlocked. I am aware that this phone will be more expensive than buying through o2 but im okay as i hate o2:)

My question is that lets say i buy this, put my vodafone sim into it will everything work once i enter all the correct settings such as internet, gps and other features?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The short answer is no - but check out this sticky thread.

Also, as nobody's got their hands on a 3GS yet to unlock it, nobody really knows how or when this is going to be possible. Though I'd imagine it will be fairly prompt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Thanks for your reply. Yh but the site im looking at says that the phone is factory unlocked. That means it is unlocked by apple right? If thats the case shouldnt it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

jd83 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. Yh but the site im looking at says that the phone is factory unlocked. That means it is unlocked by apple right? If thats the case shouldnt it work?

it was never locked in the first place. It should work with everyrhing except tethering. If you jailbeak it, then you can get an app for tethering via cydia called pdanet

you are mad to pay that price for it. id guess they will charge nearly 900 quid for the 32gig

Yh i know but I really want one and Ive held off getting one til the new one comes out. Id rather buy one that just works out of the box and has nothing to do with o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

cojomo2 wrote: »
    you are mad to pay that price for it

What price?

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    What price?

http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=800

and thats just for the 3g 16gb..which is a discontinued phone!Robbers

cojomo2 wrote: »
    http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=800

and thats just for the 3g 16gb..which is a discontinued phone!Robbers

I actually saw a phones online company vehicle pass by me on the road the other day. It was a top of the range very fancy looking range rover...people must be buying their overpriced phones, or else they owe the bank a lot of cash!

Yh but to be honest id rather pay that, have a fully working iphone out of the box that I can use with any provider and price plan i want, than be tied up in a contract with that shower of... O2

Yh but to be honest id rather pay that, have a fully working iphone out of the box that I can use with any provider and price plan i want, than be tied up in a contract with that shower of... O2

have you considered gettin one in belgium(i got flights there on special with ryanair at 12quid all in return), or italy?

Yh I would consider it, how much is one there? Its because its against the law to lock phones there right?

• Advertisement

Yh I would consider it, how much is one there? Its because its against the law to lock phones there right?

yep. in italy, they will be the same price(give or take a few euro) as they are on o2 prepay here. Current 3g price is 499 euro for 8gb, 569 for 16gb.

Belgium is a little bit more expensive, current 3g prices are 519 for 8gb and 605 for the 16gb.

Im guessing the new 16gb s version will be about 550 in italy, and about 580 in belgium.

Advertisement