Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To sit or not to sit an exam??

Options
  • 15-06-2009 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I an due to sit Latin on Wednesday afternoon. I do not have a hope of passing as I dropped the subject after Xmas and was always poor at it. I really have no chance of passing so please do not say sit in in the hope of passing. I should have the points I need from my other subjects.

Am I better to sit it and get a NG or just be absent? I am thinking of which will look less bad in my results.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Well if you're finished the rest of the exams what's to stop you learning some latin and giving it your best shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

You will never do better through not attempting.
    Study like mad and sit it. You might fail, but you might learn some Latin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Sit it, you don't want to have an ABS/NG on your results, at least if you sit it you've got a chance of picking up some marks whereas if you don't sit it you can't get any marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

if you are absent do they say absent on the cert or just leave it blank against latin as if you had not entered for the subject?

if they leave it blank i'd say skip it.

if they say absent i'd say skip it :D

absent looks better than NG i think cos you can make up all sorts of brilliant excuses after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Billydog

pathway33 wrote: »
    if you are absent do they say absent on the cert or just leave it blank against latin as if you had not entered for the subject?

if they leave it blank i'd say skip it.

if they say absent i'd say skip it :D

absent looks better than NG i think cos you can make up all sorts of brilliant excuses after

No I cannot cram because I have Economics on Wednesday morning which I am aiming high on. I like abscent better than NG. As you say I can make an excuse re illness etc.

• Advertisement

Why not just drop to pass level on the day and make an attempt at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Does anyone else do it in your school? If not, it'd be very unfair for the examiner who would come in waiting for you to show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

Skip it, why bother if you're sure you'll have enough points for what you want. Nobody looks at Leaving Certs anyways, once you've got something further up the education ladder!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Friend of mine didnt turn up for JC business and it just wasnt on his results.

Call your school.

Fringe wrote: »
    Does anyone else do it in your school? If not, it'd be very unfair for the examiner who would come in waiting for you to show up.

won't the invigilator get paid anyway even if nobody shows up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Drop to pass, get an F or E, better than an NG.

Seriously, an F is just ten percent, if you did the language up till X-Mas then you're definitely capable of getting one in ten things right no matter how much you sucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

won't the invigilator get paid anyway even if nobody shows up?
    Quite possibly, but he/she probably has better things to do than sit there pissed off that students are wasting his/her time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Quite possibly, but he/she probably has better things to do than sit there pissed off that students are wasting his/her time.

How? They'd hardly be planning to do something when they're being paid to do a job.

Pissed off or not, they'd still get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

Same As wrote: »
    Why not just drop to pass level on the day and make an attempt at it?

This.
    At least if you cover some of the course you could get a C or something... which is better than ABS/NG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

Just to note: You said your son was doing the Maths 2 paper in a previous post? (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60638373)
    Are you confused or ........

Jokesetal wrote: »
    Just to note: You said your son was doing the Maths 2 paper in a previous post? (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60638373)

Hmm.... :pac::pac:

Jokesetal wrote: »

Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hmm maybe it's the son using his dad's account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

Piste wrote: »
    Hmm maybe it's the son using his dad's account
    Dont do the exam... alot of application forms for jobs ask for results to be filled out rather than actually having to give an official copy..
    concentrate on your economics... an absent in better than any bad grade you feel u would get.. I think with something like a language, it would be impossible to catch up on or bullsh!t in.. let us know how u go!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you don't show up for an exam, it will not appear on your results unless you have already completed an element, for example if you went to the oral Irish and then didn't sit the paper, then you would get an Irish grade, with a star beside it indicating one element (or more) was missing.

AFAIK, Latin is just the exam, so if you don't show up, it just won't be listed in your results. There is no such thing as ABS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Should I sit economics iam in the same situation as this man I do business and accounting and I have learn a bit of the course

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Don't skip an exam. Just sit it. Have a go. You'd be surprised how much you can actually get done and how much you know. Why waste two years of you life in a subject to avoid max 3 hours?

Sit it and don't listen to "Absent is better than NG", its still going to show on your exams and you never know who might ask for them further down the line. In addition at least you'll feel better knowing you had a go. I'm hopeless at Applied Maths but I'm going to sit it on Friday, why? Because its information you can carry with you forever. Don't avoid something. Imagine the day of your driving test, you didn't turn up because you felt you weren't ready after months of waiting? Sit it!

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Should I sit economics iam in the same situation as this man I do business and accounting and I have learn a bit of the course

You should definitely sit the economics exam. In no way are you in the same situation. Latin is tough. Have you seen last years economics pass paper? A guy off the street could have got 30% easy.... never mind a guy who has business and accounting under his belt.

Some of the questions from last year pass paper.

q. Give an economic advantage of toll roads.
    q. Give an economic disadvantage.
    q. What is meant by emigration?

If you are worried about failing honours then do pass. If you need the 45 points from honours .....only you know that.....but whatever you do..show up.

ironclaw wrote: »
    its still going to show on your exams

a previous poster said absent would not show if the exam was the only element of the examination :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

a previous poster said absent would not show if the exam was the only element of the examination :confused::confused:

Again, no-one gets 'Absent' on a Leaving Cert. results sheet.

The only possibility is, for example, E* indicating that part of the exam was missing (project work, field study, oral) and the person got E when the part they sat was marked out of the total.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Sit the exam and do ordinary level. You will never need to show anyone your actual Leaving Certificate. You might put the results on a CV or application form and that's about it. If you fail it, you just leave it out of the list. The cert will be thrown in a drawer and gather dust for the next 20 years. You'll probably never look at it again once you've got it. You may as well have a go at the exam. Ordinary Level papers in most subjects are not that difficult and generally would be marked to give the student the best possible chance of passing.

Just having a look at the OL paper, almost all of it is answered in English, comprehensions and translations, with a list of vocabulary provided. And then a bit on writing accounts of historical events etc. It doesn't look impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Has anyone asked whether or not you do French or Spanish ?

I'm not saying its the most helpful thing in the world, but they overlap a lot when it comes to comprehension ect, you could pick up marks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Fad wrote: »
    How? They'd hardly be planning to do something when they're being paid to do a job.

Pissed off or not, they'd still get paid.
    Manners costs nothing, though, Fad.

It's unlikely though that he's the only one sitting Latin, sounds like he was attending classes until Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Same As wrote: »
    Sit it, you don't want to have an ABS/NG on your results, at least if you sit it you've got a chance of picking up some marks whereas if you don't sit it you can't get any marks!

This is wrong, if you don't appear for an exam there will be no mention of it on your cert., I didn't bother showing up for business when I did the leaving cert., the paper in august made no reference whatsoever to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

do it. your gonna regret it if you dont.
    it wont hurt! Just try, and see what you are capable off, you did spend alot of time learning the subject, why not put whatever knowledge you have to use?!
    your not gonna regret doing the exam, youl only regret not even trying!

Advertisement