Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Addicted to Whiskas

Options
  • 15-06-2009 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is having the same problem as us. Me and my BF have a 10 month old cat and 2 new 8 week old kittens. A few months ago we decided to get our older cat, Ollie, Whiskas 'Oh So Meaty' and 'Oh So Fishy' because of the slightly higher meat content. As soon as we introduced it we regreted it. He is completely addicted. We have since tried to give him better brands of food but he completely ignores it. He acts like there is not even any food in his tray. We even tried giving him fresh fish and sardines and he doesn't even give it a second glance! We assumed that it was just his taste and tried not to worry. But just a few days ago one of our new kittens Oscar got to Ollies tray and ate a mouthful or two before I could take him away. Oscar is one of the hungriest kittens i've ever known and up to that point ate anything we put down in front of him. But now, same as Ollie, won't even acknowledge any other food. Thankfully our other kitten Lucy hasn't tasted Whiskas, and we aim to keep it that way.
    It makes me seriously wonder what is in the stuff that would make cats and kittens react like this. We are going to the Vets today to buy the good stuff and we're going to attempt to introduce it slowely. But I've a feeling it will be tough to wean them off.
    Has this happened to anybody else? and if so has anyone managed to break the addiction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ill probably be shot for saying this but i really dont think Whiskas is the worst food they could have. Now, im completely aware that are far more superior brands out there, superior in content and quality but if it is the only thing they'll eat id be ok with that. My own cat lived until she was 14 solely fed on it. It is highly palatable thats why they love it but if you're adamant on changing then introduce it slowly,mix it in with the whiskas and work up. An instant diet change may result in intestinal upset so do it gradually. They wont starve put it like that. If its a choice of eating the new brand or nothing...they wont choose nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

had the same problem with GoCat pouches. Until they took it off the market. Queue two very grumpy cats, at the edge of starvation (the poor things).
    Unfortunately, they have now gotten over GoCat, but will only eat Sheba (of course!) or prawns, fed by hand.
    Feckers :D

But anniehoo is right - they could have a worse diet, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Eventually, they might come off the Whiskas, too, cause cats love variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I think the problem here is not necessarily what the OP is feeding them but that they won't eat anything else. This could cause a problem if one of them ends up on a specific diet for an illness, if Whiskas change the recipe, if your local shop runs out etc so I'd definitely try to mix in other foods. OP - if you can get some decent quality dry food and mix the Whiskas through then they should eat it. Gradually reduce the amount of Whiskas mixed in and eventually they'll be eating the dry food on it's own. Then you can offer wet food in a separate bowl beside the dry and let them eat both. I do this with mine (and try to change cat food brands at least a couple of times a year) so that they don't become addicted to any one food.

IMO cats should be fed on a variety of foods, starting with the best you can afford in dry food and adding wet food or treats (ham, chicken, fish) as often as possible. Constant access to water is very important too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭DenMan

Maybe it has something to do with being either domesticated or wild cats. Our cat is big (sort of like a panther cub). She will eat anything. The food we give her is the Lidl trays for cats (OPTICAT). She loves them. They come in many flavours (beef, chicken, salmon).

She also eats anything and everything. Leftover fish, ham and turkey (she loves Christmas btw), steak, raw sausages. I wonder is it because she has this huge domain to protect that cats who live outside are much more versatile and adapt to all foods rather than domesticated cats who develop a taste for certain foods and wouldn't survive in the wild.

Advertisement