Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apples "MobileMe"

Options
  • 15-06-2009 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

just reading about the "locate me" option in OS 3.0. Seems you need a mobileme account for this to work...€79\year.

I'm struggling to see what €79\year gets you, push email etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm thinking about it to be honest. The majority of other mail options on the iPhone are purposely crap to make sure you use the mobileme option.

I thought gmail was good until I realised my emails weren't sorted properly and there's no way to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

KTRIC wrote: »
    I thought gmail was good until I realised my emails weren't sorted properly and there's no way to fix it.

can u expand on this, not sure what u mean here. I've always found gmail on the iphone grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Gryzor wrote: »
    just reading about the "locate me" option in OS 3.0. Seems you need a mobileme account for this to work...€79\year.

I'm struggling to see what €79\year gets you, push email etc.

I have a mobileme subscription and was using it for one feature - back to my mac. I prefer using Google Apps for my domain (Gmail with @mydomain.ie) for mail and calendar. I use dropbox for file syncing as its easier and also works with PCs.

The new find my iphone app doesnt seem to use the GPS chip and seems to work by using cell towers. I tried it yesterday and it pin pointed my phone to within 750m of my house. NOT handy if you want to know which house you left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭fiddlemeragged

You do get a lot more than just email with a MobileMe account though, to me it's not just the mail and auto -push syncing of emails, contacts, address book and safari bookmarks but also that I can use the iWork / iLife applications direct to MobileMe.

For instance, keeping up a website with iWeb is a breeze with many preconfigured options and you can host 1 domain. Admittedly it lacks a lot of bells and whistles (PHP, MySQL support etc) but it's great for just getting the basics done. And, it looks good.

The locate my iPhone feature is pretty damn good too. I find that it does use cell towers for its assisted GPS initially to get an approximate fix. Though, if it can get a satellite fix (stand near a window if you can or just get outdoors) you get an excellent fix most of the time.

Advertisement