Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attention: PGDE Graduate teachers (from Maynooth)

Options
  • 15-06-2009 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

I thought it best to post this here in the teaching forum rather than the postgraduate forum as I guess this is where all the current graduates will be hanging out now.

Well my question is simple: I am starting the PGDE this september in Maynooth. What I want to know is, can anyone advise me on what a typical week is likely to be like during this course.

I know that Mondays and Fridays will be spent doing TP and Tues, Wed, Thurs spent in college. But what I want to know is what the 3 days on campus are likely to be like? What kinds of lectures, classes, hours

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As someone who is also starting the same course at the same time in the same place, this topic is relevant to my interests :)

Especially the bit about class times. I'm going to be commuting up and down, and worry about class times clashing with the few buses I can take home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

i did my Dip there 2 years ago, but i cant imagine they've changed the structure of it that much.

tues and wed both consist of a mixture of compulsory lectures and your methodology seminars, with thurs being a half day.
    the lectures begin at 10 and continue till about 5/6, depending on methodologies taken.

because you're only in college for 3 days per week, its important to try your best to manage your time with regard accessing readings etc.

hope this helps!
    busy year but extremely enjoyable so best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Nead21 wrote: »
    i did my Dip there 2 years ago, but i cant imagine they've changed the structure of it that much.

tues and wed both consist of a mixture of compulsory lectures and your methodology seminars, with thurs being a half day.
    the lectures begin at 10 and continue till about 5/6, depending on methodologies taken.

because you're only in college for 3 days per week, its important to try your best to manage your time with regard accessing readings etc.

hope this helps!
    busy year but extremely enjoyable so best of luck :)

Thanks Nead21

When you say half day on Thursday, what time does this mean?? Im just trying to organise some adult ed in the evenings around my time in college, so looking to know the rough times.

When you say accessing readings, do you mean library books, or do you actually mean lecture readings of some kind, compulsory readings??

as far as i can remember you have 2 lectures on thurs so you're normally finished around 12 or so. but every second week (i think) you have a tutor group seminar for an hour so maybe finished then at 2....this may have changed due to changes that they were trying to introduce to videoing classes when i was there.

there should be a timetable posted on the education dept website for maynooth

peanuthead wrote: »
    Thanks Nead21

When you say accessing readings, do you mean library books, or do you actually mean lecture readings of some kind, compulsory readings??

i mean the readings for lectures, assignments and essays you'll have during the year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Very minor questions here but more just out of curiosity....

1. Where do the lectures take place?
    2. How many lectures a day is there? And are they continuious?

the lectures will take place in the education building on the new campus, apart from 1 i think (curriculum studies) which takes place on the old campus.

many of your compulsory lectures like sociology of ed, philosophy of ed etc run one after the other. you have a lunch hour everyday and then it depends on the methodologies you take as to how many lectures you have a day. as i said, thurs is a half day.

Advertisement