Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights over North Dublin

Options
  • 14-06-2009 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm just after witnessing a strange sight. About 10 orange lights in the sky coming from the direction of the airport and flying towards Blanchardstown then turning and flying north. They where flying relatively slowly and in formation. They were not flashing just a steady orange glow. Did anyone else see this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

You should report it with the date and time here: http://www.ufoi.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi

Saw them over north wicklow last night, very very weird, totally spooked.
    Have you heard anything yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

The lights were chinese lantrens. Lots of people were ringing up fm 104 last night to report the lights. A lady that was at a 3 day wedding in the blanch area rang in to say they let off about 20 of these lantrens.:rolleyes:

The lights were chinese lantrens. Lots of people were ringing up fm 104 last night to report the lights. A lady that was at a 3 day wedding in the blanch area rang in to say they let off about 20 of these lantrens.:rolleyes:

Any proof ?

Any proof ?

Huuummmmmmmmm, Any proof. Apart from the person responsible for setting off the lantrens ringing up a radio show and owing up to releasing 20 or so chinese lantrens. No. Many callers said the lights were seen over blanchardstown area. The lantrens were released over the blanchardstown area. Thats enough to satisfy my good self.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Any proof ?

None, so it must be aliens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I agree. I think they where Chinese Lanterns as much as I'd like to think other wise. I heard that girl on fm104 last night and she sounded genuine. Some of the people phoning up the show saw them too but some totally made stuff up. Like the speed they where travelling at. One guy said 2 of the lights changed direction and darted away. No such thing. they all stayed at the same speed until they disappeared.

but one thing bothered me. Near the end of this display one more lantern rose into the sky from a diferent location:confused:.

Huuummmmmmmmm, Any proof. Apart from the person responsible for setting off the lantrens ringing up a radio show and owing up to releasing 20 or so chinese lantrens. No. Many callers said the lights were seen over blanchardstown area. The lantrens were released over the blanchardstown area. Thats enough to satisfy my good self.:p

So really you have no proof to justify your claim. You as bad as people who believe that every UFO is alien .

So really you have no proof to justify your claim. You as bad as people who believe that every UFO is alien .

Ah come on, your just been argumentative. Ill simplify it for you.

Guests at wedding release 20 chinese lantrens in the Blanchardstown area.

People in the surrounding areas spot lights in the sky, Up to 20 some say.

Other people said.................ah I havent the energy or patience to explain it again. I give in. It was aliens from planet Zorg.:rolleyes:

"A guy on the interent told me it was lanterns from a wedding" ..... hardly proof is it?

What was the radio show? Is it possible to download a podcast or get a copy of the show? Is it possible to follow up the womans claim?

I'd accept it if there wasnt so many follow up questions.

• Advertisement

6th wrote: »
    "A guy on the interent told me it was lanterns from a wedding" ..... hardly proof is it?

What was the radio show? Is it possible to download a podcast or get a copy of the show? Is it possible to follow up the womans claim?

I'd accept it if there wasnt so many follow up questions.

Am I 100% sure it was chinese lanterns, NO

But im 99.9% sure.

It was on fm104's open mic show. I tuned in by chance.

Podcast availability = Dont know.

Is it possible to follow up the womans claim = Your guess is as good as mine.

What people were ringing in to say they had seen is exactly how these lanterns behave. Apart from one guy who said one of the lights '' took off into the athmosphere '' :eek:

Ah come on, your just been argumentative. Ill simplify it for you.

Sorry , didnt mean to come across that way. I was mearly pointing out the fact that once people want proof and then hear an explanation "chinese lanterns" they are happy and move on, no proof needed.

The fact is there is no way we can prove it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Sorry , didnt mean to come across that way. I was mearly pointing out the fact that once people want proof and then hear an explanation "chinese lanterns" they are happy and move on, no proof needed.

The fact is there is no way we can prove it either way.

So go with the most likely option.

1) Chinese lanterns.
    2) Some intelligent being (human or otherwise) for some reason flying around Dublin making no attempt to make contact with anyone on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

So go with the most likely option.

1) Chinese lanterns.
    2) Some intelligent being (human or otherwise) for some reason flying around Dublin making no attempt to make contact with anyone on the ground.

1) Chinese lanterns: Seems to be the in vogue explanation for every sighting lately

2) Some intelligent being (human or otherwise) for some reason flying around Dublin making no attempt to make contact with anyone on the ground: That would be called observing, surveying and data colection, dont necessarily have to make contact?

But it is funny that these chinese lanterns get so much media coverage for sightings, remember the sightings in wales where pilots (helicopters I think) chased these lights but couldn't catch them. Well they were still chinese lanterns(with jet engines?) and yes you guessed it another woman rang up a radio station and said she was at a wedding where they were released. Even the BBC covered the story saying it was lanterns despite experienced pilots testimony. Rather strange in my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I think the reason chinese lanterns are being held responsible as the cause for many UFO sightings is merely because they are becoming increasingly popular for celebrating various events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

It seems that the most realistic outcome is that they where Chinese lanterns, there was a few reports from the Blanchardstown area and one from the Wicklow mountains as well last night. The characteristics do point to lanterns but i hope to confirm this later this week.

I just don't run with the Chinese Lanterns explanation.

The lights were too high up and we saw about 80 of them, orange and green.
    I phoned asromony ireland and they told me that chinese lanterns had been released in north dublin, they also said that when they reach a certain height, they extinguish.
    So if I saw them in North Wicklow, Bray, and they were very high up,looked to be up with the stars, and moving North-ish, how would they last/survive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

ellejay wrote: »
    I just don't run with the Chinese Lanterns explanation.

The lights were too high up and we saw about 80 of them, orange and green.
    I phoned asromony ireland and they told me that chinese lanterns had been released in north dublin, they also said that when they reach a certain height, they extinguish.
    So if I saw them in North Wicklow, Bray, and they were very high up,looked to be up with the stars, and moving North-ish, how would they last/survive?

We all believe what we want to believe. To suit our agenda/keep us sane. The most likely explanation is something akin to chinese lanterns. But maybe it was body Thetans released and going home.

i'm not saying it's a ufo, i'm just saying i saw the lights, and I really don't think they were chinese lanterns.
    a colleague thought it could have been the reflection of prisms off a satellite circling the earth, i'd find that a bit more plausible than paper lanterns that are so small they'd hardly be visible at that height?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The lanterns are a fair enough size and it's very hard to judge distance looking at a night sky.

This was brought up at an Astronomy Ireland meeting only last night. And the consensus was Sky Lanterns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I'm not saying it is but the lights may have been a meteor shower, it was spotted on the english coast and french coast as well. It has been reported in a few newspapers and on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Another Post on Boards.ie from This Thread.

Mystery Solved.

I have seen these things in action. The first time I saw them I thought they were planes, then I thought they were UFOs (as in the alien kind), then I felt mighty stupid when I was shown people settting them off and set one off myself. They move a quite a fast speed when they reach altitude even on a slow day so they may look like slow moving aircraft at a distance. The colour very much depends on the colour of the lantern itself for example check out this link. They are also large

Come back to me when these things are seen changing direction at speed and darting across the sky . But just like a man in a sheet is not a ghost, its a man in a sheet, these are chineese lanterns and these reports are nothing old as evident by the post in the Dublin forum.

And if anyone feels like grabbing a picture the next time they see one over dublin, or even better a video that would be amazng.

So a guy on the internet says he's responsible and you buy it?

Whats to stop me from regging another account and saying it was me and my mates with laterns? Who would you believe then? Chances are it wouldnt matter because you've got what you want ... someone giving an explaination with no proof that fits in with what you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

6th wrote: »
    So a guy on the internet says he's responsible and you buy it?

Whats to stop me from regging another account and saying it was me and my mates with laterns? Who would you believe then? Chances are it wouldnt matter because you've got what you want ... someone giving an explaination with no proof that fits in with what you believe.

I also gave a number of reasons why I am sure these things are what I believe they are not just a link to another post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'm going to buy some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I'm going to buy some.

I was thinking the same thing! Let them off some night and see if anyone notices.It would interesting to see the reaction,if any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

you say it was over blanch ??

you sure it wasent the garda helicopters :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Never thought of that.

Yeah all flying back to the Station with their curries before they got cold:D.

Advertisement