Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyslexia

Options
  • 14-06-2009 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

any one doing there lc have Dyslexia ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

*their* sorry thats harsh:pac:

I dont have it myself but I know that there are plenty of facilities available for people that do.If you are worried about it,talk to your career guidance teacher.I know one guy who had very bad dyslexia and was able to get a computer.They really are very accomadating if you ask for it...that is if you are doing the leaving next year and aren not in the middle of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

doing it on tape nest year also done my jc on tape

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Is there anything specifically you need to know? Soem of my friends are dyslexic and they have arrangements for their exams to make it easier. Also,remember that in some cases for college,if you note on ur cao form that you have dyslexia you can get certain allowances in regards to requirements and i think points also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I am dyslexic, concessions are that I don't have to do Irish or a European Language and I get a spelling wavier for English, about 10% of English is called "Mechanics" and I don't get marked on it, those marks get re-distributed through the other schemes.

I was denied use of a laptop because my hand writing is actually pretty good. I didn't apply for any other concessions.

I still did French, this actually annoyed NUI slightly, they would have rathered I still did Irish.

There will be a dirty little asterix on my LC English grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

i am dyslexic too. i got a waver for spellings for my leaving and junior cert . i dont have to do irish or french/german only do english. i never bothered put it on my cao, i say i be able to get my course with out it , i be kicking my self in aug if i am down a few points and it could have helped:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

I'm dyslexic but I don't have any extra help. I probably could have gotten it if I applied but I decided I'd rather do it on my own since I'm not severely dyslexic.
    Beginning to wonder if I made the wrong decision!

I think you should have gotten something...Im not dyslexic but I get extra time for other reasons.The reality is that the leaving cert system is a load of ****E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

poisonated wrote: »
    I think you should have gotten something...Im not dyslexic but I get extra time for other reasons.The reality is that the leaving cert system is a load of ****E

The Leaving Cert is to blame for your dyslexia?

Not seeing the link myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

*their* sorry thats harsh:pac:

"that's" :D

Claypigeon wrote: »
    The Leaving Cert is to blame for your dyslexia?

Not seeing the link myself.

well I said I don't have dyslexia...as you actualy quoted but...I just don't like the leaving cert:pac: surprise.I just feel the Irish education system could learn something from the a levels.THAT'S a much better sysem:)
    Not trying to backseat mod but can we get back on topic...that was just a side note

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

well I said I don't have dyslexia...as you actualy quoted but...I just don't like the leaving cert:pac: surprise.I just feel the Irish education system could learn something from the a levels.THAT'S a much better sysem:)
    Not trying to backseat mod but can we get back on topic...that was just a side note

Not really; you really are better off doing a wide range of subjects rather than 2-3... That being said I do agree that they should only count certain subs for points ie if you're applying for English that they don't care about your maths grades but you still attend the class and try to maintain a decent grade in continuous assessment within class

Advertisement