Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your summers tests results 5th years only

Options
  • 14-06-2009 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

so got my results last friday so here thay are
    geography (hl) 78% so happy on this one done no work for the year
    english (hl) 65% only done 5 pages in this test
    maths (ol) 98% i hope i find out soon what i got wrong
    Business (hl) 84% why did she not give me a A
    cs (hl) 80% happy with this
    biology (hl) 53% 1st biology test i passed a year

if that was the lc 425 points hope to get that next year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

so got my results last friday so here thay are
    geography (hl) 78% so happy on this one done no work for the year
    english (hl) 65% only done 5 pages in this test
    Business (hl) 84% why did she not give me a A
    cs (hl) 80% happy with this
    biology (hl) 53% 1st biology test i passed a year

if that was the lc 425 points hope to get that next year

I know this is the most overused 'joke' on the leaving cert forum, but come on. How can you talk about an english exam, and in the same sentence make a grammatical error that is one of the first things we are taught not to do in English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    I know this is the most overused 'joke' on the leaving cert forum, but come on. How can you talk about an english exam, and in the same sentence make a grammatical error that is one of the first things we are taught not to do in English.
    i have Dyslexia if you might no

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

Doesn't that just affect word order and spelling?

Reilly616 wrote: »
    Doesn't that just affect word order and spelling?
    yap its does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

If you had any brains, you would have done honours. Anything over 85% and you should be regretting the day you dropped down.

• Advertisement

Really?

This really annoys me. I'm sure you have something far more important to be doing other than criticising somebody over mixing up the use of done and did. It's pathetic.

7Steve wrote: »
    If you had any brains, you would have done honours. Anything over 85% and you should be regretting the day you dropped down.
    i only got a d in my jc 2 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

I think i may have dyslexia, or im just really bad at spelling :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

i only got a d in my jc 2 years ago

The Junior Cert is COMPLETELY different than the Leaving Cert, ecspecially in Maths. I stand by my comment. That is a ridiculous score.

I hope you get an A1 in Maths in the Leaving Cert, just so you'll regret not doing Honours. So :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I disagree.
    I'd only do honours for the LC if I really needed it.
    I got a C in JC and did ordinary for the LC. Been getting 90% roughly in each exam, hopefully got an A this June.

Im so glad I did ordinary though. It gave me one less thing to stress about and allowed me more time to concentrate on subjects I wasnt too great at, honours Irish for example.

If your'e aiming high, as long as your'e doing 7 subjects, you can afford to have one pass subject, whatever it may be.

Edit: 7 Subjects rather, thank you galway.gaa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

Jammyc wrote: »
    I disagree.
    I'd only do honours for the LC if I really needed it.
    I got a C in JC and did ordinary for the LC. Been getting 90% roughly in each exam, hopefully got an A this June.

Im so glad I did ordinary though. It gave me one less thing to stress about and allowed me more time to concentrate on subjects I wasnt too great at, honours Irish for example.

If your'e aiming high, as long as your'e doing 7 honours subjects, you can afford to have one pass subject, whatever it may be.
    7 honours. dont you mean 6 honours?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Cateym

Balls. I did honours maths through all of 5th and dropped it at Christmas of 6th year. In my pre's I got 98% in pass despite this there was no way I would have done honours because best case scenario I would have scraped a C3 which is not worth the effort it would have taken. You are either mathematical or not. I wasn't. Doing pass was the best strategic decision I made. All the time I was devoting to honours could now be put into other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

havent got results back yet, although i know i got 98% in O.L. maths and 80 something % in H.L. accounting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Dont think these 5th year exams went to well to be honest.. expecting the report any day.. told my parents i "forgot" to study :pac:.. my own fault if I fail anything!! Kept telling myself "sure its only 5th year!!". I plan on getting down to the work for next year anyway. any advice lads?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

cork*girl wrote: »
    Dont think these 5th year exams went to well to be honest.. expecting the report any day.. told my parents i "forgot" to study :pac:.. my own fault if I fail anything!! Kept telling myself "sure its only 5th year!!". I plan on getting down to the work for next year anyway. any advice lads?! :pac:

5th years definitely the year to work in. I curse the fact i was such a lazy bollox in 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Worked my ass off at the start of 5th year (I had done T.Y), but just got gradually lazier. Managed to get 315 in the summers which scared the crap outta me.for my happiness on results day reckoned I'd need 100 more :eek:
    At Christmas again, still not much work done, got 350.
    Worked a bit for the mocks and got 390.
    So I reckon I'm on the right tracks for my 420 ish :P
    If I get all C1's (some higher to compensate for some lower) I'll be set with 420! :D.
    If you listen in class, do your homework, you should pass everything don't worry, at least you noticed this now! I know people doing the Leaving now, who still haven't started studying :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I think as long as you keep up with what you are learning etc, you should be okay. After all 6th year is way more stressful than 5th. As long as you start early in the year and have the best way of going about your study you should not feel guilty about taking a night off to relax and have fun with your mates.

Looking back on 6th year I think that I would have been less stressed if I planned and measured my study properly. Also I would have felt less guilty about going out with my mates,etc. Having said that It always kept me motivated and I have been doing really well, but it drove me nuts and I kept thinking I didn't know when I actually did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

5th year: Just keep up with the work, do the homework and revise for the exams. You will be fine.

6th year you need to work pretty hard, especially before xmas. As soon as Xmas passes you can kiss goodbye to the year. Between projects and orals, a week will feel like a day. It seriously flies by and next thing you know your LC will be only a week away.

While it is pretty stressful throughout the year, it isn't all it is cracked up to be, the actual exam. It is nicely spread out and they aren't trying to catch you out. It's all a big hype over nothing. It isn't the be-all and end-all of life.

My advice for LC; relax and go with the flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 fruglo

I got about 540 in the summer test but I VERY nearly failed honours maths...the shame! :eek::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

seriously boys and girls you could go through the whole of 5th year and not do a thing
    (like me) doesnt matter (in most subjects):rolleyes:

and youll get such a feckin kick up the ass in LC when you relise
    youve 8 months left in secoundry school yeah'll work like you never worked before!:p

then again be like me nd dont start till after easter and things still turn out okicon5.gificon5.gificon5.gif

I hope;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

this is a leaving cert forum so go away ye in-betweeners!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Probably wont get mine back for at least another month or more....

All I have gotten back is Economics (HL) 71%, an improvment over 51% at christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Woo!

A1 - English (H), Maths (H), App Maths (H), Physics (H), Chem (H), Bio (H).............. AND Irish (H) :eek:

B1 - French (H) :(

Delighted overall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

Wrong, if you got an A1 in ordinary maths doesn't mean you can do honours. Well you can but you are not guaranteed a pass. A few friends of mine dropped this year from honours to pass for maths. TOTALLY different course regardless of what people tell you. If you get an A1 in maths ordinary, sure you'd be capable to do honours but you are not guaranteed to get your C3.

So retract your comment as getting an A1 in maths (o) doesn't mean you should go to Honours unless your teacher has advised you to attempt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Cateym wrote: »
    You are either mathematical or not.

Complete rubbish, there's such a thing known as effort, and the way people talk about honors maths being near impossible to do is just silly. 7Steve is completely right, if you are getting something like 98% in ordinary you should be doing honors, my sister did exactly the same thing, dropped to pass maths, got an A1 in every exam and still regrets not doing honors for the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Woo!

A1 - English (H), Maths (H), App Maths (H), Physics (H), Chem (H), Bio (H).............. AND Irish (H) :eek:

Delighted overall!

awwww you poor thing only a b1 haha

well done mate excellent results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Complete rubbish, there's such a thing known as effort, and the way people talk about honors maths being near impossible to do is just silly. 7Steve is completely right, if you are getting something like 98% in ordinary you should be doing honors, my sister did exactly the same thing, dropped to pass maths, got an A1 in every exam and still regrets not doing honors for the leaving cert.

Effort can only get you so far. Sure you can try your hardest in maths and only get a A1, if your not mathematical. but at what cost?? You may have to sacrifice time from your study from subjects you are actually talented and do well in. If you can't keep up maths at a decent pace (i.e not using time up wisely, time that could be put to better use to learn off definitions or case studies). You shouldn't do Honours maths. What you stated is 1 case, statistacally speaking the odds are against you, I don't mean to sound mean but that's just how it is.

Subjects aren't suited to everyone, you just have to deal with the ones you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Crystler wrote: »
    Effort can only get you so far. Sure you can try your hardest in maths and only get a A1, if your not mathematical. but at what cost?? You may have to sacrifice time from your study from subjects you are actually talented and do well in. If you can't keep up maths at a decent pace (i.e not using time up wisely, time that could be put to better use to learn off definitions or case studies). You shouldn't do Honours maths. What you stated is 1 case, statistacally speaking the odds are against you, I don't mean to sound mean but that's just how it is.

Subjects aren't suited to everyone, you just have to deal with the ones you can do.

well said mate, well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jaaavaaa

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »

I disagree with this, I stuck at the higher level maths all through fifth year and up to Christmas of Leaving Cert year, never passed a single exam despite doing all homework and spending a lot of time studying and working at it. Dropped down to ordinary level at Christmas, didn't do anything between Christmas and summer apart from going to the classes, still got an A1.

Yeah, if I'd spent a disproportionate amount of time working on it (compared to my other subjects) and maybe gone to grinds, I might have scraped a D. However, the lowest subject I used for points was a higher level B2, therefore doing higher level maths would have been completely pointless for me - and would probably have brought down my marks in other subjects due to spending so much time on it. I've never regretted moving to ordinary level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

Woo!

Delighted overall!

Ya you're gonna get 8 A1's.:rolleyes:

You should try to be the first person to get 1000 points! 2 from Ag Science, Economics Accounting or Business:P

Advertisement