Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics Predictions

Options
  • 14-06-2009 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

What are yours?:)

I think :Banking System-how banks create credit
    Oligopoly
    Causes of Unemployment/Solutions
    Why property market went down toilet
    Why Ireland is less attractive for foreign firms

Lemme know I need the guidance badly!:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

Costs of Production is almost a cert. It was due up the last few years and the teachers have been complaining to the SEC about it.

Even though it came up for the last few years, I'd say the current figures Q is going to come up.

The whole damn thing will have "The Recession" written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

what's costs of productions about? is that fixed and variable costs and all that jazz? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

Yeah it is

I'm so bad at this exam

Please help!!!

I'm hoping AT LEAST 3 micro come up
    Macro will be sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

what's costs of productions about? is that fixed and variable costs and all that jazz? :confused:

You need to know about Average Costs and Marginal Costs (and their relationship). Economies and Diseconomies of Scale. Why small firms can survive (Nature of Good, Convenience, flexibility, Market size etc.). I'm pretty sure MPP and MRP can come up in that section aswell. And, like you said: Variable costs and fixed costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

hey guys

The CSO website doesn't have figures for 2009?????

• Advertisement

7Steve wrote: »
    You need to know about Average Costs and Marginal Costs (and their relationship). Economies and Diseconomies of Scale. Why small firms can survive (Nature of Good, Convenience, flexibility, Market size etc.). I'm pretty sure MPP and MRP can come up in that section aswell. And, like you said: Variable costs and fixed costs.

oh really, ew I know nothing about that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Imperfect competition is the hot tip to come up in Micro

A theory question on elasticity, 35m on the uses i'd say.

Banks creating credit should be there, and if it does i wouldn't be surprised to see a question on Keynes.
    K4t wrote: »
    hey guys

http://www.statusireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    Imperfect competition is the hot tip to come up in Micro

A theory question on elasticity, 35m on the uses i'd say.

Banks creating credit should be there, and if it does i wouldn't be surprised to see a question on Keynes.

http://www.statusireland.com/

What could you say for uses of elasticity, all I can think of is to increase tax on inelastic goods like cigarettes and lower tax on elastic goods like cars:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Gi joe! wrote: »
    What could you say for uses of elasticity, all I can think of is to increase tax on inelastic goods like cigarettes and lower tax on elastic goods like cars:confused:

If it comes up it'll either be a 35m or a 20m, thus you'd be looking for between 4 and 7 points

This is taken from an economics guide, if anyone wants the link i'll try and find it

A monopolist would use knowledge of PED to indicate whether total revenue will increase or decrease when price is changed. If demand for the product is price inelastic, the monopolist can continue to increase prices until demand becomes elastic and TR begins to fall.

Knowledge of PED will help any producer to decide whether to increase or reduce prices if he wishes to increase total revenue (TR). When demand for a good is price inelastic, an increase in price will lead to an increase in TR, if demand is elastic a seller should decrease price to increase TR.

Knowledge of PED will also allow a producer to examine what will happen to profit if prices are altered. If the demand for a good is price inelastic, then an increase in price will lead to an increase in profit.

Knowledge of PED will also help a producer who is considering increasing the quantity produced. If PED is – 0.8, then if the producer wishes to increase production by 4%, then he must reduce prices by 5% as

%Δ Q = +4 = -0.8
    % Δ P -5

Government use PED when deciding on changes in levels of indirect taxation (VAT, customs and excise duties, etc). If the government know that the demand for cigarettes is very price inelastic, then any increase in their price (brought about by an increase in the level of indirect taxation) will lead to increased tax revenue to the State. Governments generally levy taxes on goods they know to be price inelastic in order to increase total tax revenue to the State. The “old reliables” include petrol, alcohol and cigarettes.

Producers may use knowledge of YED when trying to predict future demand for a good. If the economy is predicted to contract by 5% over the coming year, then on average we have 5% less income with which to spend. If the YED for a good is +1, then a 5% fall in income will lead to a 5% decrease in the quantity demanded.

Knowledge of CED will help a producer calculate the increase in the demand for his product as a result of a price increase in a competing product. If CED = +0.9, between Good A and Good B, then a 10% increase in the price of Good A will lead to a 9% increase in the quantity demanded of Good B.

Thats an A1 standard answer, but we all know in the case of Economics this is whats required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

hey guys

Which figures are you looking for?

• Advertisement

Which figures are you looking for?
    Inflation, Interest rate, Unemployment figures, Birth rate, Death rate, Government finances info etc.

The CSO figures are all from a year ago :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

imperfect competition or oligopoly or both
    land or capital (prob capital in my opinion)
    elasticity
    national income
    costs of production
    if 4 of them come up ill be delira ... ive most done but really hope these come up cos there nice handy questions
    PS better students tend to answer micro questions because there more scientific and straight to the point where as macro questions such as the state of the economy and its trends can be vague and harder to get full marks in so i would advise doin all the macro questions :D:D theres my 2 cents

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    If it comes up it'll either be a 35m or a 20m, thus you'd be looking for between 4 and 7 points

This is taken from an economics guide, if anyone wants the link i'll try and find it

A monopolist would use knowledge of PED to indicate whether total revenue will increase or decrease when price is changed. If demand for the product is price inelastic, the monopolist can continue to increase prices until demand becomes elastic and TR begins to fall.

Knowledge of PED will help any producer to decide whether to increase or reduce prices if he wishes to increase total revenue (TR). When demand for a good is price inelastic, an increase in price will lead to an increase in TR, if demand is elastic a seller should decrease price to increase TR.

Knowledge of PED will also allow a producer to examine what will happen to profit if prices are altered. If the demand for a good is price inelastic, then an increase in price will lead to an increase in profit.

Knowledge of PED will also help a producer who is considering increasing the quantity produced. If PED is – 0.8, then if the producer wishes to increase production by 4%, then he must reduce prices by 5% as

%Δ Q = +4 = -0.8
    % Δ P -5

Government use PED when deciding on changes in levels of indirect taxation (VAT, customs and excise duties, etc). If the government know that the demand for cigarettes is very price inelastic, then any increase in their price (brought about by an increase in the level of indirect taxation) will lead to increased tax revenue to the State. Governments generally levy taxes on goods they know to be price inelastic in order to increase total tax revenue to the State. The “old reliables” include petrol, alcohol and cigarettes.

Producers may use knowledge of YED when trying to predict future demand for a good. If the economy is predicted to contract by 5% over the coming year, then on average we have 5% less income with which to spend. If the YED for a good is +1, then a 5% fall in income will lead to a 5% decrease in the quantity demanded.

Knowledge of CED will help a producer calculate the increase in the demand for his product as a result of a price increase in a competing product. If CED = +0.9, between Good A and Good B, then a 10% increase in the price of Good A will lead to a 9% increase in the quantity demanded of Good B.

Thats an A1 standard answer, but we all know in the case of Economics this is whats required

Thanks for that, seeing those kind of answers reinforces how unprepared I am:(

I hate the way questions in economics always leave you flustered at a first look , but when you look at the answers you always think:I knew that! Why didn't I think of it at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

USES OF ELASTICITES

1. Government Revenue

The government can earn large amounts of indirect tax eg. VAT on goods which have a relatively inelastic demand.

2. Monopoly

Price discriminating firms can charge the higher price to the inelastic demand portion of the market and the lower price to the inelastic demand portion of the market.

3. Firms Considering Expansion

A price elasticity of demand of -1 indicates that a drop in price of 1% would require the seller to sell 10% more. -2 would mean a drop in price of 2% would require the seller to sell 20% more.

4. Maximising Revenues

In order for firms to maximise revenues the following elasticity laws should be adhered to:

Elastic Demand - Lower the price
    Inelastic demand - Raise the price
    Unitary Elastic demand - Keep the price the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

JSK 252 wrote: »
    USES OF ELASTICITES

1. Government Revenue

The government can earn large amounts of indirect tax eg. VAT on goods which have a relatively inelastic demand.

2. Monopoly

Price discriminating firms can charge the higher price to the inelastic demand portion of the market and the lower price to the inelastic demand portion of the market.

3. Firms Considering Expansion

A price elasticity of demand of -1 indicates that a drop in price of 1% would require the seller to sell 10% more. -2 would mean a drop in price of 2% would require the seller to sell 20% more.

4. Maximising Revenues

In order for firms to maximise revenues the following elasticity laws should be adhered to:

Elastic Demand - Lower the price
    Inelastic demand - Raise the price
    Unitary Elastic demand - Keep the price the same.

Monopoly came up last year

Inflation, Interest rate, Unemployment figures, Birth rate, Death rate, Government finances info etc.

The CSO figures are all from a year ago :confused:
    Inflation: May CPI was -4.7%, HICP -1.7% and CPIX was -1.2%

Which interest rate are you looking for? There is no 'one' interest rate. Are you asking about the ECB main refinancing interest rate (the minimum bid rate on MROs and LTROs)?

The official unemployment figure comes from the Quarterly National Household Survey and that's 7.7% from last October. The seasonally adjusted standardised unemployment rate (SUR) is at 11.8% from last month, it's a pretty good estimate of unemployment and I'd use that one if they ask for the unemployment rate.

This is the last population release.

Government finances for last month are here. Are you looking for debt levels?

dog_pig wrote: »

I talking about the uses of elasticities to achieve monopoly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Leggz

Imperfect is apparently bound to come up,its what every1's after learning but Oligopoly cud b with it.
    Factore of production:either labour r capital r the 2 tips i got but in my opinion it could be either looking at the current state of the economy nd all that jazz.
    Elasticity qe shud b up 2,national income nd prob 2 govt questions.
    Wouldnt suprised wit alot of "facts nd figures" type questions.
    I'm gna try d veer towards micro though,macro questions take 2 long to answer nd I find they waste alot of time during the exam. Micro questions are more straight forward really:)

Inflation: May CPI was -4.7%, HICP -1.7% and CPIX was -1.2%

Which interest rate are you looking for? There is no 'one' interest rate. Are you asking about the ECB main refinancing interest rate (the minimum bid rate on MROs and LTROs)?
    For LC economics? Yeah ;)
    The official unemployment figure comes from the Quarterly National Household Survey and that's 7.7% from last October. The seasonally adjusted standardised unemployment rate (SUR) is at 11.8% from last month, it's a pretty good estimate of unemployment and I'd use that one if they ask for the unemployment rate.

This is the last population release.

Government finances for last month are here. Are you looking for debt levels?
    Thanks very much.

For LC economics? Yeah ;)
    The ECB 'interest rate' is at 1%.

• Advertisement

The ECB 'interest rate' is at 1%.
    Thanks again.

Could anyone add to this question as I don't think I have enough

What are the eco consequences of a balance of payments deficit?

1.Income leaked
    Affect national income-multiplier lessened-eco contracts

2.Job Losses
    Imports greater than exports-domestic production slows-firms close down

3.Nat Debt increases
    More foreign borrowing needed to sevice N.D.-gov passes it on to consumer in increased taxation-real income falls

4.External Reserves decreases
    Consuming more than producing-ehh:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

JSK 252 wrote: »
    I talking about the uses of elasticities to achieve monopoly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭k8hm

anyone think elasticity will come up as a separate question to demand/supply? it hasn't come up like that is a few years....but our teacher says she thinks they're trying to make the exam harder by giving demand/supply/elasticity as one question...

they put so much in each question these days, I find that I have to rush to have enough time

dog_pig wrote: »

Your a thick muppet. Read the question asked. IT WAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MARKET STRUCTURE OF MONOPOLY. THE QUESTION IMPLIED USES OF ELASTICITIES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

That's a bit harsh now in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

they put so much in each question these days, I find that I have to rush to have enough time

I find that there is plenty of time for questions, I'm going to do 5 longs hopefully. that said, I haven't done anything in economics for about a month so I may have to wing it. Going to study now...

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Liam O wrote: »
    I find that there is plenty of time for questions, I'm going to do 5 longs hopefully. that said, I haven't done anything in economics for about a month so I may have to wing it. Going to study now...
    I was a bit short on time for the mock, but I should be okay on it. I'm like yourself, I haven't done anything in it for a while.. Although my teacher was top-notch; crammed the stuff down our throats. Because of that, I can remember most of the course. ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

MrPirate wrote: »
    I was a bit short on time for the mock, but I should be okay on it. I'm like yourself, I haven't done anything in it for a while.. Although my teacher was top-notch; crammed the stuff down our throats. Because of that, I can remember most of the course. ^^

yeah my teacher was very good. Cut down the course so we've basically been studying the same stuff since before the mocks. Should be ok. Need to look back over the multiplier because I messed that up in the mocks and it's easy marks.

Advertisement