Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to introduce a kitten to a four year old dog?

Options
  • 14-06-2009 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

Our dog is the star in our house, the centre of attention etc. He's a gorgeous, loyal little cutie that we rescued as a puppy four years ago. My parents, suprisingly enough, now have mellowed out to idea of having pets in the house and are hinting that they want to keep a little kitten from a litter belonging to my aunt's cat. The only thing is, if introducing a kitten into a dog's home is going to be dangerous or harmful to the kitten, they probably will leave it to be rehomed somewhere else. But a kitten would be great and cats are gorgeous!!

Keeping in mind that I don't live with my family and wouldn't be around all the time to help out, does anybody have any tips I could pass onto my parents on introducing a kitten to our dog? Or is it a terrible idea.? Obviously we don't want to put either of them at risk.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

It's not a terrible idea, I have a friend who has 4 cats and a dog (one of the cats is only a year old) and the pup is 10months old i think. They're actually really good friends.
    One of the older cats didn't take to the pup at all and just avoids her.
    The other older cat likes to take care of the pup - they lick each other etc.

At first there's going to be an adjusting period on both sides. The kitten will probably be semi friendly to the dog, but the dog may not be happy about a new addition. Especially being the centre of attention for 4 years.
    You have to be careful how you introduce them, don't just bring the kitten into the middle of the house and plonk it down. It's the dogs territory, let him meet the kitten in the front garden, or at the front door, and then bring it in, so in a way he's allowing the kitten in. You will have to be careful about feeding too, maybe feed them in separate places to start with. Neither should feel threatened when eating. Make sure they both have a 'safe' space away from the other so that they can escape as such. And don't leave them alone for the first week or more. As the dog may just go for the kitten.

Um what else... I'm not sure, I'm no expert so someone here may have better advice.

Advertisement