Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bic Magnum or Natural Surf

Options
  • 14-06-2009 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi lads,

Have been surfing a few times but am still a beginner. I've decided to buy my own board as I intend to go surfing on a regular basis. I've narrowed it down to either the Bic Magnum (8ft 4'') or Natural Surf (7ft 9''). They're cheap enough which is nice as budget is fairly low and didn't want to spend to much on my first board as it will probably get a few dings. Anyone got any input?

Cheers,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

I'm a beginner myself, I bought the magnum and my brother bought the natural surf. I've surfed both and find the magnum a good deal easier. I'm quite big and heavy, my brother is quite small and light and he has no problems surfing the natural surf. I was advised to go bigger because of my size. Their both very cheap on king of watersports, got ours there, great service.
    Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Never mind a person's size, just get as big a surfboard as possible regardless of weight & height or lack of...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    Never mind a person's size, just get as big a surfboard as possible regardless of weight & height or lack of...

Nonsense. That logic says a 5 foot girl should get a 12' longboard.

As a beginner get something in the minimal range, bic magnum is a great choice, something 7'9-9'.
    Once your comfortable then move up or down, or both depending on your preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cecil Mor viewpost.gif

Nonsense. That logic says a 5 foot girl should get a 12' longboard.

I assume a certain amount of cop-on applies to people reading reading a reply; You, Kodute obviously need your hand held when dealing with the greater public.
    Longest board possible means a 9ft+ Longboard ffs.

A surfer's weight & height determining the size board they should chose is however nonsense. Witness 16st guys surfing 6'2" s'boards & wee slips of girls surfing proper sized logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    I assume a certain amount of cop-on applies to people reading reading a reply; You, Kodute obviously need your hand held when dealing with the greater public.
    Longest board possible means a 9ft+ Longboard ffs.

A surfer's weight & height determining the size board they should chose is however nonsense. Witness 16st guys surfing 6'2" s'boards & wee slips of girls surfing proper sized logs.

Assuming any sort of knowledge with a beginner is a mistake. ;)

Weight and Height...
    Big guy starting out get a big 9ft+ board
    wee slip of a girl get a 7'9-7'11 board
    simple as... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tjpos

Thanks for the input guys. I am kinda leaning towards a magnum as its seems easier to catch more waves with a bigger board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 darach.c

go bigger board bro
    bic is a good move as you will not get dings which come with learning
    shape doesnt matter if your just learning....bigger the better and you will soon know when to change to a shorter board
    go hard!!

Advertisement