Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand New Bic €270

Options
  • 14-06-2009 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hey everyone i have a brand new 7'3'' bic surfboard ill chuck in a new leash and fins and a bar of wax too... €270.00 same board is €345.00 in other shops...

PM me for more info..
    here is a picture... <snip>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mrDuke

Sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bearlahinch

The picture of the board in question which was taken from the Lahinch surf shop website is on sale in that shop with the leash and wax for that price. I would have hardly thought this was the place for promoting your own shop using pictures lifted from <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

No its not a retailers forum, I was under the impression that it was just a stock photo of the board in question.

Well am glad to hear that you watch for this. However the board in question was from his fahily's shop in Tramore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mrDuke

sorry bearlahinch i tried to remove the link but the edit button does not work, i actually got the image from google!

• Advertisement

There is a rule that retailers are not meant to use this type of forum to sell their wares. Even once or twice could be considered taking a chance. The only reason I came across it was the use of the picture from <snip>
    I believe that you should make a sizeable donation to the administration of this site as you have been using this site for pushing your own shop.
    The forums are full of plugs for your shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

Bearlahinch I think your just jealous because you never thought of it!

Donal94

Did you ever look at the rules on this forum?
    I do not take a lot of notice if what goes on th these forums . However on this occasion it was brought to my attention so I decided to react as he used an image from our site and implies that it is a private sale -- specifically against the rules of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

In defence of mrDuke, most of the time he is selling second hand boards for people which is very different to trying to sell brand new boards from his own shop.

This is not a retailers forum and I would be strongly against it becoming that.
    However the casual posting of second hand surfboards and advice dispensed with that, I believe, is a great service to the board.

Is this the official attitude of the moderators of this site? If it is perhaps I should pursue the moderators for breach of copyright-- lifting and using an image from my site for which I had to get permission to use.
    I would have thought that retailers were precluded going on your rules.Perhaps your rules mean nothing in which case you should amend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

kodute wrote: »
    In defence of mrDuke, most of the time he is selling second hand boards for people which is very different to trying to sell brand new boards from his own shop.

This is not a retailers forum and I would be strongly against it becoming that.
    However the casual posting of second hand surfboards and advice dispensed with that, I believe, is a great service to the board.

Agreed word for word.
    Any posts I have seen from MrDuke have tended to have been regarding used boards/boards that private individuals are hoping to sell on, which he helps facilitate through his shop, given his shop is a port of call for many surfers looking for second hand boards and also a port of call for people hoping to sell their boards onto other surfers (going on my own and friend's experiences anyway).

From looking at the forum charter, it seems that the guidelines are "Don't pimp your shop/school/etc too much" and "Boards.ie ltd make money from advertising so we will not tolerate blatant commercial advertising by commercial entities on this board".

Obviously I'm no mod, and I defer completely to whatever the mods think regarding the interpretations, but from my own personal interpretation of the above rules I wouldn't think he's been busy pimping his shop or blatently advertising his own goods.

If anything, he's inadvertently given your own shop a bit of advertising here!

Is this the official attitude of the moderators of this site? If it is perhaps I should pursue the moderators for breach of copyright-- lifting and using an image from my site for which I had to get permission to use.
    I would have thought that retailers were precluded going on your rules.Perhaps your rules mean nothing in which case you should amend them.

I advise you to recind that, or edit the post at the very least. Legal threats are not taken lightly on this forum.

I understand you are upset that he linked to your website but there is no copyright infringement here. Take the free plug and enjoy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

And while your at it bearlahinch lighten the f**k up! jesus :rolleyes:

Don't advertise your company

We strongly protect the conversational feel of this site. Interjecting your commercial message into that conversation is not only rude, counterproductive, against the rules but also a poor way to win customers, build goodwill and will ultimately get you banned.

This has obviously not been applied. Check what other entries appear under this user name.

As regard frowning on my reaction then consider copyright rules.

This is my last input to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Honestly man, after all you're whining I will never buy anything from your shop,Mr.Dukes actually seems to be offering a service to people looking for 2nd hand boards and he also offers advice to beginners.I have never seen you offer any advice on this board to anyone(unless you use a different name, if so I apologise), you are really doing no favours for yourself or your business.The guy is obviously doing a better job at providing services to people and has similar boards to you at a cheaper price, so if you can't take it like a man don't be attacking some one over something so trivial.Try concentrating on your own business instead of attacking others and maybe work on your ****ty attitude as well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Decos wrote: »
    And while your at it bearlahinch lighten the f**k up! jesus :rolleyes:

Bearlahinch is spot on and I'll thank you not to get abuse to someone quoting the rules of this site.

MrDuke,
    It appears to me that you have been getting away with selling on this site for some time.
    I've just check your posts. You would appear to contribute nothing to this site yet still get to make a profit from it.

As a result, I'm site banning you for a month for not reading and following this sites rules.
    Be aware that you are getting a month because you have been around for a while. Anyone else would get a perma site ban.
    Do not rereg while on this ban or I will ban your account for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

Ridiculous thread, there was no need for any of this

@beruthiel
    If the rules are going to be applied so stringently then you must site ban bearlahinch for threatening legal action.

muppetry of the highest order in this thread... :mad:

Bearlahinch is spot on and I'll thank you not to get abuse to someone quoting the rules of this site.

I was hardly abusing him now was I? I just told him to lighten up.
    MrDuke said he was sorry to him:
    sorry bearlahinch i tried to remove the link but the edit button does not work, i actually got the image from google!

and bearlahinch continued to dog him about it so I would consider that a significantly larger 'breach of peace infraction' than the one i received for my comment so I hope your sending bearlahinch infractions too...

Beruthiel, a question... did I receive the 'Infraction for Breach of Peace' for using the word 'f**k' in my post even though i blanked out the middle letters? If I had just asked him 'to lighten up' would I have received the infraction?

Honestly man, after all you're whining I will never buy anything from your shop
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

i'd never buy anything either, imagine buying something from his shop that was faulty in some way and tryin to return it, he would argue ya down to the ground,. and threaten his legal rights etc until you gave up. defo lost a few customers here. he's an awful moan

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

emzolita wrote: »
    i'd never buy anything either, imagine buying something from his shop that was faulty in some way and tryin to return it, he would argue ya down to the ground,. and threaten his legal rights etc until you gave up. defo lost a few customers here. he's an awful moan

+1.
    Wouldn't dream of dealing with this guy now for the above reason. Would be a nightmare if anything was faulty, I'd be very put off by his attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sul02

Meatwad wrote: »
    Mr.Dukes actually seems to be offering a service to people looking for 2nd hand boards and he also offers advice to beginners.

Thats spot on, loads of beginners use this forum to get advice on a first board. I think he was providing a very useful service (just look at the feedback on the used boards thread). I called into his shop and he spent the best part of an hour giving me advice on boards, wetsuits, surfing spots etc. I ended up gettin the 7 3" bic cause of his advice and not the flashy 500e shortboard he could have recommended.

It is unfortunate that the original pic of the bic board directed the user to the lahinch site but that was apologised for and rectified

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement