Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Modems - Huawei alternatives?

Options
  • 14-06-2009 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

I'm due to purchase a USB modem. I've used the Huawei E180, happy enough with the performance, not keen on the swivelling hinge USB plug.

Does anyone on boards use an alternative, say the Sierra Compass 888 USB Modem or the Ovation MC990D.

I'd be keen to hear opinions on some alternatives to what Huawei have available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭corkie

Amalgam wrote: »
    I'm due to purchase a USB modem. I've used the Huawei E180, happy enough with the performance, not keen on the swivelling hinge USB plug.

Does anyone on boards use an alternative, say the Sierra Compass 888 USB Modem or the Ovation MC990D.

I'd be keen to hear opinions on some alternatives to what Huawei have available.

I have the Sierra Compass 888 USB Modem and it find very reliable. Handy thing about it also has a slot for a mini sd card. I have installed "Slax" on it. But you could use it to store important documents etc. Or place an encrypted file with your login details for site's etc.

I upgraded from the hauwei e220 for the faster upload speeds.
    495600007.png

Regards,
    John

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

corkie, I remember you mentioning the Compass 888 on the Linux\Unix forum. Are you booting Slax off of the USB modem at the bios, or using Slax nested in some other OS.

I would find it very impressive if you could boot the OS you're using from the USB modem that you will be using, within that OS, sorry for the turn of phrase, head melter..

What is the user interface like in XP for connections. Ubuntu 9.04, does it recongise the stick without any extra fiddling?

corkie, I remember you mentioning the Compass 888 on the Linux\Unix forum. Are you booting Slax off of the USB modem at the bios, or using Slax nested in some other OS.

I have use it as direct bios boot on my AA1 (from the SD card), But you can also run slax via qemu as well if need. It's handy as a backup if i mess up some settings on Ubuntu(9.10) installed on AA1 internal card.

A live usb stick of Ubuntu (9.04) with NM will see the modem and configure it correctly. With out extra fiddling.

Regards,
    John

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Handy thing with Slax is you can copy the OS to ram. (1gb of ram --- self upgraded my AA1 with an extra 512)

The main point being you can boot the OS from it? That is neat. I'll probably purchase it.

corkie, did you find an Irish supplier, or shipped in from abroad?

---

I have used copy to ram before, with DSL (Damn Small Linux) and Backtrack 3.

• Advertisement

The main point being you can boot the OS from it? That is neat. I'll probably purchase it.

corkie, did you find an Irish supplier, or shipped in from abroad?

If you happen to visit my site, you probably can guess who or where, I got the modem from.

Note AA1, It may not always see the mini SD card at boot, Pressing "ctrl-alt-del", usually get's it to show after the second or third attempt. And other times, it will boot from mini sd when you don't want it to.

To connect with kPPP in slax the easy way is to disable pin protection on the SIM or you can pass the PIN tothe device with the scripts.

Regards,
    J.
    Disclaimer: I don't work for any mobile company and don't get paid to promote any mobile company

corkie, PM me a link please, I've been to your site, having a 'blonde day'..

I see it now, O2 offer the modem. Tempted.

Advertisement