Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Music mag idea

Options
  • 14-06-2009 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Did anyone have a read through Computer Music mag this month? I found an interesting idea in the Experimentalists' corner (pg 71), where they describe an experimental way to collaborate with multiple producers.Basically you get say 10 producers and draw up a list. The first guy composes a one minute piece of music and sends producer no.2 only the last 5 seconds of it which he uses to compose his own one minute piece of music and the process is repeated. When everyone has done their one minute then it's all put together to see what madness hass resulted.Might be a bit of fun to try if people were up for it. The results would obviously be fairly whacky but it could be a good laugh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

it would be interesting i guess but id say youd just end up with 5 different sounding loops with no breakdowns or proper structure all strung together.
    but yeah still interesting t hear what people do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I'd be up for it anyways, I think it sounds interesting.

yeah could maybe be good..only the last 5 secs though?,..whoevers after me's totally getting 5 secs of high pitched siren or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

yeah could maybe be good..only the last 5 secs though?,..whoevers after me's totally getting 5 secs of high pitched siren or something...

Yeah we might want to adapt the rules little. It migght be a little open to mischeivousness. Like leaving someone with a 5 sec sample of a bowel movement or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

jiltloop wrote: »
    Did anyone have a read through Computer Music mag this month? I found an interesting idea in the Experimentalists' corner (pg 71), where they describe an experimental way to collaborate with multiple producers.Basically you get say 10 producers and draw up a list. The first guy composes a one minute piece of music and sends producer no.2 only the last 5 seconds of it which he uses to compose his own one minute piece of music and the process is repeated. When everyone has done their one minute then it's all put together to see what madness hass resulted.Might be a bit of fun to try if people were up for it. The results would obviously be fairly whacky but it could be a good laugh.

This reminds me of a kids game where everyone writes part of a story on a piece of folded paper, but you can't see what the other person has written until the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I'm up for this.

This will be a good larf!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

We'd have to pick a BPM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

splitrmx wrote: »
    We'd have to pick a BPM.
    Yeah I think when we draw names out of a hat or whatever, that the first producer will have to end up choosing the bpm and possibly the key aswell just to make sure it is at least slightly cohesive.

Advertisement