Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much of JC material is needed?

Options
  • 13-06-2009 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

I'm starting 5th year in September and am just wondering actually how much of the JC course needs to be known?

For example, I'm taking history & geography but am a slight bit wary of the fact that I've lost touch with a lot of information that I studied for the JC. Just wonderding if I need to brush up or if it wouldn't matter in the slighest if I hadn't ever even opened a book once for JC.

Would like to think it'll all come flooding back but somehow I do feel like it's such a far distance away lol

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

don't do history or geo
    but don't worry really, just listen to the teacher and do your hw and study for your tests in 5th yr ..

it d be kinda hard to get use to doing work again but sure you will get there

i took up home ec in 5th yr and never done it before and am doing good
    some1 i knew took up Geo only in 5th yr and got on good

so ya..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Have you finished transition year ?

With a year out ,the memory is gonna be stale , , however remember , the secondary school term is over 5 years , so , yes , you will need to remember quite a lot of what you have learned up to JC

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

~Candy~ wrote: »
    don't do history or geo

Already applied & got them lol Everyone seems to be saying pretty much the same thing :rolleyes: Whooooops
    Have you finished transition year ?

Yup, almost braindead at this stage lol

That's a problem for September you to worry about, not for summer you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

I didn't listen at all for geography from first to thrid year, came out with a d in honours. Found the leaving cert course a lot easier and more interesting. There is a lot more better stuff then learning about rocks! Hoping for a high C in geography in the leaving.

As for history it helps if you know stuff like the irish history and also ww1/ww2 stuff but forget the celts and the rest of all that stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

50-50 really, I did geography all through secondary school (incl 4th year) and I didn't really need to 'revise' as such for 5th year. You pick it back up easily enough.

edit - @strongr .. .my degree is in rocks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Lot to learn in History, there's **** all more in the Geography course to learn, my sister who only did it up to JC looked at my past papers and she'd easily get a C now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

star-pants wrote: »
    my degree is in rocks :(

Geology.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

So long as you have the basics in the back of your mind (i.e what is a hill? etc :D :P) you'll be fine, most of the information is simple enough to understand in history and geo.

And don't might those who said don't do one subject or the other, do what YOU want. Good luck!

Conor108 wrote: »
    Geology.jpg

But it has it's faults...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

I'm starting 5th year in September and am just wondering actually how much of the JC course needs to be known?

For example, I'm taking history & geography but am a slight bit wary of the fact that I've lost touch with a lot of information that I studied for the JC. Just wonderding if I need to brush up or if it wouldn't matter in the slighest if I hadn't ever even opened a book once for JC.

Would like to think it'll all come flooding back but somehow I do feel like it's such a far distance away lol

Thanks

Out of a matter of interest did you do geography in TY. If so what was on the course, if anything?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

For anything other than Maths/English/Irish/Languages I'd say very little, I'd encourage you forget everything you know about Chemistry for the JC (It's pretty much lies!).

Every subject I did pretty much started from the beginning (But with a quick pace).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

Fad wrote: »
    For anything other than Maths/English/Irish/Languages I'd say very little, I'd encourage you forget everything you know about Chemistry for the JC (It's pretty much lies!).

Every subject I did pretty much started from the beginning (But with a quick pace).

Ordinary Maths at LC is pretty much the same as higher level at JC. That's why you should do HL at JC. If you're ****e. What odds! It's only JC. You can the do OL at LC.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

But it has it's faults...
    Meh, you want everything handed to you on a plate ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i was out of school for three years, repeated this month and did geography and think i did very well. it has a lot of work involved despite what people think but if you learn your stuff well you can get a good grade in it(pretty much like evrything i spos!)
    my point is anyway no you dont need to remember your junior cert stuff, just work from the beginning of 5th year and youll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

don't really need to know anything for the junior cert, especially depending on what subjects you do. only one really, for me anyway, where stuff from the junior cert is relevant is maths

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

No. Remembering the JC might help a tiny bit, but effectively, it doesn't really matter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The type of approach to most subjects in the Leaving is different. That said, I doubt there are many teachers would want to be explaining to 5th yrs what a contour, primary source or glaciation is. The JC curriculum is taken as a given for LC, unless you're starting a new subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

For history it doesn't matter as you'll be studying a lot of stuff you've never done before. You'll relearn all the JC stuff anyway as the JC books don't go into a lot of detail. They're also just plain wrong in many case. The most important thing I learned from JC history actually was to never trust anything I read in a textbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

I've just finished 5th year. I did TY too - My brain was complete mush by the end of it and I was terrified about not being able to get back into studying but it actually wasn't too bad. Up to Christmas will be the worst and after that, it'll feel like you never stopped studying. It depends on what you've done in TY too - Like if you had summer tests, it might be a little easier but either way, you'll adapt to 5th year fairly quickly - You'll be surprised!

Geography - If you remember the most basic things from JC, you'll be fine - and you'll be surprised at what's in your head so no need to read over things or anything like that. For LC, it's just JC with more detail but you go over everything so don't worry.

I don't do History, but I've heard that you do so many new things for LC that JC doesn't matter.

Maths is important, Honours is building on your JC knowledge. It moves really fast, so be prepared to feel overwhelmed if you are doing Honours. You will get a grip on it though, so don't panic. I feel like JC English was no help to me, there's a very different approach to it for LC, but I find it much more enjoyable.

Try not to worry, just enjoy the summer! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

Dont worry about it, the leaving cert is basically a whole new course. You will relearn things from the junior as you go through the 2 years, so dont go feeling as if you must know these things once you come back in September. Everyone goes through this at the start of 5th year and it all comes together soon after, so relax and enjoy your sunny (touch wood) summer off! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Dumb wrote: »
    Out of a matter of interest did you do geography in TY. If so what was on the course, if anything?:pac:

There was a module on the weather, global warming etc but I went for the history module instead. Those who did do it said some parts were interesting but not a whole lot of people bothered doing up projects etc.

We had no tests at all so there was a lot of laziness.

Thanks so much for the advice too guys, really helped - maybe I will just stop worrying about Sep & try to enjoy the Summer.

TY just makes you so lax - it's worrying how little thinking you actually have to do for a whole year. Extremely enjoyable year but some people have almost forgotten how to spell their name! lol

Meh, you want everything handed to you on a plate ... :pac:

Far from it, I don't take everything for granite...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Far from it, I don't take everything for granite...
    I'm going to greet that pun with stony silence ... :pac:

Oh, wait, the mod is supposed to be keeping stuff ON topic!! :o

Christina, I actually think maths (esp. if you're doing Honours) is the one which most immediately builds on JC work. And possibly languages ...

Not sure if you want to spend your summer revising maths (or even if it's such a good idea, summers should be for living imho!) but if you did get bored on a rainy day ... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

The only subjects where you need to know JC material are languages and maths. Only a tiny fraction of what you study in JC subjects like history, geo and business is actually on the LC course. For example, in LC history, you only study the 20th century really, but the JC course goes back to the Roman empire! In business, most of the course is topics like legislation, management, enterprise and international trade, and none of that is on the JC course. Knowing the JC course isn't particularly helpful for sciences either... Don't worry, basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

There was a question that was on the business LC this year that wasn't in the book but was in the JC book.
    Thank god the definition of fidelity insurance was still somewhere in the back of my mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I found JC history applied in the Dictatorship and Democracy section of LC history. JC classical studies (if you did the Acropolis and the Aneid) still apply for LC (Architecture and epic or augustan writers), Technical Drawing still applies more than most subjects. A lot of basic Science is useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

I'd agree with much said above.

Maths takes a lot of info from JC, so you need to know that. (like, it's expected you'd know Pythagoris' theorem and stuff like that, basic JC stuff - [but if you hadn't done the Junior Cert at all, it would be hard to pick up])

Languages obviously use the stuff you learned in JC (ie, they're not going to teach you the endings to -ER verbs in 5th year French).

Other subjects deal with a lot of stuff covered in JC, but don't require you to know it. For example, (I think) Business and Geography has a lot of similar information that is studied on the JC course, but it is covered in a lot more detail on the LC course, and you're not expected to know/remember what you did from JC as the subject is being taught from the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

One thing is and if it has been said already junior cert sceince is basically
    all lies seriously i got a A in Jc in it I would have been
    better off if i had failed
    I new too much stuf that wasn't true!:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement