Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Modem AmiNET110

Options
  • 13-06-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I recently joined Magnet for their broadband. The package and the modem they send allows me to get some TV channels on my TV/laptop.

They sent the modem, a AmiNET110 Set-Top Box, but there were only two cables inside. The power adaptor plug and a scart lead with audio-visual out connector for the TV. The user guides deals mainly with installing the modem for use with the TV, etc. I happen to have a 2-wire RJ11 cable that I can use to connect my point in the wall to the modem's ethenet port.

However I do not see how the modem can be connected to my wireless router once the ethernet port is being used to connect the 2-wire RJ11 phone line to my fixed phone line point in the wall. Has anyone got any idea what I am missing here? Has anyone else received this modem from Magnet or any other provider?

This is a link to an image of the ports available on the modem.
    http://www.lica.cz/admin/pool//08355227300800_A110rear.jpg

Thanks to anyone who can give me some answers. Much appreciative.

smurf23

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Are you in one of Magnet's FTTH developments?

I think the way you need to connect this is firstly connect the wireless router to the port in the wall using an RJ-45 Ethernet cable (not a 2-wire RJ-11 phone cable) and then connect the Amino STB to one of the LAN ports on the wireless
    router using another RJ-45 cable.

You may need to turn off any DHCP server on your wireless router as there is possibly a Magnet router somewhere in the house/apartment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Magnet forum is a better place to ask this, there are Magnet staff answering questions over there:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1207

First thing the AmiNET110 Set-Top Box is not a modem, it is a TV set top box, similar to a Sky box.

If you live in a Magnet FTTH development, with ethernet ports in every room, then I believe you use a Cat5e (RJ-45) cable to connect the AmiNET110's directly to the ethernet ports on the wall and then connect the AmiNET110 to the TV.

Otherwise Magnet will also need to supply you with a modem/router which you connect your PC and AminNET to.

It is interesting, I use to have these AmiNET110 boxes on the Smart Vision service, they only do MPEG 2 SD, Smart have now replaced them (in my development at least) with much nicer MPEG 4 HD compatible boxes :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 smurf23

thanks for the suggestion pizzahead77. Unfortunately it still doesnt give out a signal. I'm still waiting on hearing back from Magnet. It'll probably be tomorrow though it being the weekend and all.

And cheers for the info bk. I was having doubts about the 'modem' capabilities of the 'box'. So confusing. There isnt much info that comes with it all. I'll be sure to check out that other forum as well. Thanks.

And no I am not in one of those developments unfortunately.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

smurf23 wrote: »
    thanks for the suggestion pizzahead77. Unfortunately it still doesnt give out a signal. I'm still waiting on hearing back from Magnet. It'll probably be tomorrow though it being the weekend and all.

And cheers for the info bk. I was having doubts about the 'modem' capabilities of the 'box'. So confusing. There isnt much info that comes with it all. I'll be sure to check out that other forum as well. Thanks.

And no I am not in one of those developments unfortunately.

This is being resolved at the moment, please contact me if there are any further issues.

Advertisement