Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst 5 Games Ever! (C64, CPC & Spectrum)

Options
  • 13-06-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭

Spawning from the Top 5 games, but let's face it, for the 8 bit market, there were a lot of god awful games out there. So what's your five?

In no particular order for the CPC

1. Out Run - A horrible multiload and a game that lacked every decent element for a driving game.

2. Renegade 3 - Nearly 20 years on and i'm still trying to figure out what happened with that one.

3. Kung Fu Master - Loved the arcade, the CPC version was a farce though.

4. Sultans Maze - 17 minutes loading time for a bunch of slow drawing lines.

5. E-Swat. The CPC was on it's last legs commercially when this was released, but slow, blocky and just plain bad can only be used to describe this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Spectrum (again)
    1. Uchi Mata - A judo simulator, if you can believe that, great idea, awful, terrible, brutal execution
    2. Highlander - movie tie-in's were almost always terrible in those days (anyone remember E.T. ?)
    3. Peter Beardsley's International Soccer - the game that made me love rugby
    4. Outrun - there were a few flavours, all were awful. We had Outrun Europe - crud.
    5. Any of the Super Mega Ultra Value collections - can't choose between them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I had loads of absolutely atrocious games on the C64 but the biggext disappointments were:

Mercs: Awful, awful conversion of one of my favourite coin ops.

Street fighter 2: It used only one button and was on the C64. Could it have ever have been good?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

trout wrote: »
    [*]Outrun - there were a few flavours, all were awful. We had Outrun Europe - crud.

Actually Outrun Europa was the best out of a woeful bunch. Turbo Outrun was equally as bad as the original. From what i remember Europa 's original release was for 1989-1990, but U.S Gold were then given the rights to release the arcade sequel, so Europa was shelved for another 18 months or so. By that point, the original development team were no longer around, and the project was redone from scratch.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Street fighter 2: It used only one button and was on the C64. Could it have ever have been good?

At least the CPC actually got it, that was the longest running joke in the history of the CPC, dragging all the way to 1994 before US Gold admitted that there was no intention at all!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You missed nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Everything Ultimate brought out on the C64 was pants, whilst the bulk of their stuff, at least up to Alien8 on the speccy was ace! Until, that is Head over Heels kicked their 3D aspirations into touch as they were shown how it's done.
    Fat Worm Blows a Sparky, on Spectrum, wtf?
    Every programme I ever spent my youth typing into my Spectrum instead of going out and meeting more girls, I imagine I would have had more luck at the age of 14 if I had less Basic skills and more basic skills!

You missed nothing.

Personally, i'm not of SF/MK games so it didn't bother me, but for a lot of CPC owners at the time, it was probably the least funniest joke since Outrun.

Another piss poor arcade conversion by Activision was Altered Beast. Slow blocky sprites with colours to make your eyes bleed and scream into submission!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

C64 list:

1: Vigilante

Looked horrible back then, but those arcade screenshots on the box certainly didn't so I bought it. It was nigh on impossible to get past the first level, and I'm not sure if they bothered putting the rest of the levels on the tape it was that hard.

2: Gazza's Super Soccer

Again with the Amiga screens on the box fooling me no end. Weirdest football game ever, where the pich is devided into 3 different screens, almost like a side scroller. A really, really bad side scroller.

3: Miami Vice

Could have been Grand Theft Auto, but nothing in the game worked. You had to be at different locations at certain times to begin the missions, but when you got there, nothing happened. It was fun to drive as fast as possible and see how long you could last without dying, or maybe it wasn't.

4: Top Gun

If following a dot around a screen for 4 hours with nothing happening is your scene, then you would have loved this. I however did not.

5: WWF Superstars

Thinking about how amazing the arcade game was at the time, I was sure this was going to be just as much fun, but fun isn't having 3 moves, 4 wrestlers, and loading every match.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

1. Aliens (CPC) A testiment to the fact you it's very difficult to explain how a game works in 6 lines on the inside of a cassette cover.

2.Line of Fire (C64) Ok the arcade isn't great but JESUS...This is a horrible conversion. (Thanks US. Gold!)

3.F-19 (C64) For all the fancy manuals it was horrible on the commodore.

4. The New Zealand Story (Speccy) I've played every version and this is probably the worst.

5. Another vote for SF2 on the C64... Utter stink...

3: Miami Vice

Could have been Grand Theft Auto, but nothing in the game worked. You had to be at different locations at certain times to begin the missions, but when you got there, nothing happened. It was fun to drive as fast as possible and see how long you could last without dying, or maybe it wasn't.

You have to be joking me! I thought my game was busted. I played this loads of times and only once when I went to a location did something happen. Nice of them to explain this in the manual :/

• Advertisement

You have to be joking me! I thought my game was busted. I played this loads of times and only once when I went to a location did something happen. Nice of them to explain this in the manual :/

The only thing Miami Vice shared with GTA was the overhead view, and Supercars was far better for that aspect anyway.
    A lot of TV-Home Micro games just should not have happened, others include street hawk, knight rider and basil - the great mouse detective.

The Dangermouse games also sucked donkey dick.

WWF Superstars

Thinking about how amazing the arcade game was at the time, I was sure this was going to be just as much fun, but fun isn't having 3 moves, 4 wrestlers, and loading every match.

Are you sure you're not refering to WWF Wrestlemania that came out around 1991? Neither Superstars or Wrestlefest got converted.

Wrestlemania had a choice of 3 singles stars (Hogan, Warrior & Bulldog) to go against five heels (Mr Perfect, Warlord, Sgt Slaughter, DiBiase, and someone else was in there whos name escapes me).

Superstars was a tag team game where you had to face DiBiase/Andre at the end twice to complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    ... five heels (Mr Perfect, Warlord, Sgt Slaughter, DiBiase, and someone else was in there whos name escapes me).

Was Bam Bam Bigelow the fifth heel ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Wrestlemania had a choice of 3 singles stars (Hogan, Warrior & Bulldog) to go against five heels (Mr Perfect, Warlord, Sgt Slaughter, DiBiase, and someone else was in there whos name escapes me).

Saying DiBiase instead of Million dollar Man?! That's some hardcore wrestling fanage right there!! Or am I just as bad for noticing it..?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Yeah you are right, it was Wrestlemania. And the fifth heel was the Mountie as far as I know. Well the game was terrible anyway.

As for Miami Vice and GTA, it was more similar than just an overhead view. The fact that you had to get to certain locations to begin missions whilst driving around, then getting out of your car to do them shows that. Pity it didn't work though.

atariman wrote: »
    Saying DiBiase instead of Million dollar Man?! That's some hardcore wrestling fanage right there!! Or am I just as bad for noticing it..?:D

Yes and Yes. You should stop by sometime! /shameless plug!

Yeah you are right, it was Wrestlemania. And the fifth heel was the Mountie as far as I know. Well the game was terrible anyway.

Yep, it was the Mountie. A lot of the game was stick waggling. I hated wagglers, i busted many a joystick over those types of game. :(

Advertisement