Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size surf board

Options
  • 13-06-2009 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Hey guys
    I'm looking to get a surfboard for the summer as renting the gear would ad up to quite a lot over the next few months......I'm just wondering what size board I would need to go for? I'm about 6' and about 12 stone!
    I have surfed a bit before but I don't think I've been out since last year so I'm effectivley a beginner again!!

Any advice would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

9foot+. Trad shaped Longboard with decent width.

Just practice catching waves and don't bother with anything else other then learning to turn the thing smoothly for a good while and enjoy!!

[FONT=&quot]Do not under any circumstances allow a surf shop assistant sell you a short pointy board.[/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 _kier_

i got a 7`3 recently its harder to catch waves on it im only small so said id get one i can carry ha i used be learnin on the foam boards def go for atleast a 7`9 for that should do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I got a 6'11 foam board last summer and found it extremely hard to stand up on. I'm a beginner surfer but haven't gone out in the water since last summer. I was thinking of investing in a new board and getting rid of that one as it seems way too small. What size and what type should I go for? I'm 5'8 and and around 10 stone.

Would a plastic board be suitable for learning as I don't know if I should get another foam board. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

The general concensus here is that you should go long. I would say to go for an 8 foot, but that's just my opinion based on your height and weight. I think that any bigger for you would be quite difficult for you to manouver through the white water on your way to the line up.

In relation to foam V plastic, go plastic or even better epoxy (if you really plan to keep surfing). I can't see any major reason why it would be that much more difficult to learn on.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Thanks a million. Gonna take you up on your advice and get an 8 foot board. I'm going to see whhat the prices are like for the plastic vs foam and make a decision on that then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement