Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which omega?

Options
  • 13-06-2009 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

ive never owned an omega yet so ive decided ill be getting one in the near future, ive narrowed it down to two.

The seamaster 2254.50

TDomega2s.jpg

or the 42mm planet ocean with white numbers, black bezel

vacation_0795.jpg

pre owned, in as new condition the seamaster would be circa £1100 and the PO £1300.

Im leaning towards the seamaster at the moment, i feel it will become a future classic and has been discontinued, altho the PO is a little more contemporary and a more substantial piece.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'll third the seamaster for the same reasons.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Shank

Best thing to do is head in to Weirs or Paul Sheerans try them both on see which one you prefer. IMO the PO is by far the nicer of the 2 when it's on the wrist, oh by the way I have the PO;).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

i've always been a fan of the seamaster with the blue wave face

bondside.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

i've always been a fan of the seamaster with the blue wave face

bondside.jpg

I have this one myself. love it. but a few words of caution. servicing is expensive just got mine batt change and movement service for 140 sterling. dont go to weirs as they charge 300+ for similar service and they send it to the same place in the uk. but you wont have to worry about that for a while.

with regard to your watches , they are both seamasters the second one is far superior in terms of performance as it a chronometer and is 600m as opposed to the first one which is 300m and not a chronometer.

but all in all great watch whatever you choose. has never let me down yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

To be fair i suppose, i'm not gonna be diving with it anyway and most omega automatics will perform to chronometer specs anyway, as an aside, its even more expensive to get an automatic serviced compared to your quartz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Cyrus wrote: »
    To be fair i suppose, i'm not gonna be diving with it anyway and most omega automatics will perform to chronometer specs anyway, as an aside, its even more expensive to get an automatic serviced compared to your quartz

Don't forget though that with a quartz the seals need to be checked\replaced at every battery change, hence the high cost of the battery change. I'm not sure of their battery life now but an automatic should manage 5 years before a service is required.

Personally I'd go for the Planet Ocean as it has the Daniels escapement inside in preference to the standard ebauche. Ok, they're both Seamasters and they're both Chronometers but the PO has something special on the inside.

On a different side note I had an Omega Seamaster once, 1980's, sent for service via Dublin to London. Cost a fortune to repair and it came back looking like it had just left my wrist. I won't say what I did with it but I'm glad I don't have it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Charles1412

Hi I have a Seamaster Planet Ocean chronograph the last 15 months & must say I love it. I looked at quite a few watches but preferred the size of the omega as I like large chunky watches. I purchased mine in the US and had it shipped to my friends place while I was there. I dont know if you know anyone in the states or are planning any trips but there is definately a good saving on both new and used. I managed to buy mine for E3400 compared to E4450 in Weirs and other stores in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nobu

[FONT=&quot]Hi all,

I am also looking into buying one of the watches considered by Cyrus.

I wonder where will be the best place to be looking to purchase [/FONT][FONT=&quot]sam[/FONT][FONT=&quot]e?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Nobu[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

I bought a new Seamaster GMT and found the nest deal in a jewellers in Eniskillen.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I'm also lookig for my first Omega. Looking for the Speedmaster Moon Watch.
    Anyone know where to get the best deal? US or here in Ireland? What kind of discount should I be looking for in these recessionary times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i.m.o. they are subject to being the result of over advertised and overpriced, a better timepiece in solid gold can be scourced far cheaper.

Advertisement