Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

handwriting

Options
  • 12-06-2009 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

my handwriting isnt the best and im just thinking back to english and geo where i was flat out,,my teacher seem to be able 2 read it alrite but they say you get use to it,,
    do you think it could affect my grades when amoung other scripts of better clearer writing??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Unless it's really unlegible then you should be ok. If there was a big issue your teachers probabaly would have called you on it before now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

munchie14 wrote: »
    my handwriting isnt the best and im just thinking back to english and geo where i was flat out,,my teacher seem to be able 2 read it alrite but they say you get use to it,,
    do you think it could affect my grades when amoung other scripts of better clearer writing??

dunno depends who's correcting it. if they find it hard to read they might just keep trying or you might get some old fart that gets high blood pressure from the shape of you r's.... highly doubt it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

they might just give you a good grade or a bad grade!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

if it was real bad you would have been sent for a typing assessment, you should be ok mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Here is the deal-io on this.

Your examiner gets the script and tries to correct it. If your handwriting is really bad, then he/she/generally she is less likely to be 'generous' with your marking. It's understandable, scripts that take longer to correct are costing the examiner money.

If writing is illegible, it gets sent to another examiner to try and correct, or more likely, an advising examiner. Advising examiner (corrects with a green pen) will correct your script completely adhering to the marking scheme.

If the writing is deemed illegible by a few correctors, then there isn't really much they can do, and you are awarded no marks for the questions that cannot be read.

So, in summary :

Be neat - Correctors will be 'generous' with marking. More likely to be in a good mood, and be happy to get your script over with.

If you can't be neat, just try and be legible. I have horrific handwriting, I just try not to do anything fancy and make it so its readable. My English and Biology/Irish weren't though.

Its no big deal if your handwriting isn't stolen straight from Edward Cullen's copybook, if its legible, then you're good to go. Its only if you have really bad handwriting should you worry. If you did, you'd have heard about it before now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

Why don't you throw up a scanned sample, so we can all reasure you that it's okay.

TheManWho wrote: »
    Why don't you throw up a scanned sample, so we can all reasure you that it's okay.

"Pics or GTFO"

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

scanner?
    we're lucky to have the interweb in cavan lad:rolleyes:
    i will when i get t me mates-who has a scanner:cool:

Alternatively you could stop giving a **** cause there is **** all you can do about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Dont worry. I had terribe writing and still got mostly As.
    We prob do need to see a sample first tho:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

If your teacher hasn't called you on it then you're okay I'd expect.

I was one of the people with handwriting so bad that it had to be corrected. I was called on it back in fifth year. If your teachers had seen it as a major issue trust me you would have been told. I was lectued constantly until I corrected it. Even now its a little small but clarity is what matters.

It really doesn't matter if you write like a five year old as long as it ledgible:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Yep my friend was called upon by a few different teachers during the year about writing too small. If your teachers haven't said anything it can't be too horrific :P Believe me, mine's quite the scrawl but legible at least. No teachers have complained so far :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

They can't mark you down specifically for bad writing. Plus, spelling is only a small fraction of the marks i.e If the word appears wrong but isn't.

Don't worry about it and has been said before, theres nothing you can do about it! So relax :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

My teacher said to me to write really carefully as my writing can be really bad. I took extra care. I doubt you'll lose marks unless it's really bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I've been given illegible scripts to correct in the past and it's really frustrating when you have no idea what the candidate is writing about. Some clearly written bullet points at the start would be of some assistance to have an idea of what the scrawled mess is trying to say. The scrawled mess on its own will get nothing if no-one can interpret it.

Outside a disability, very sloppy handwriting would often be seen as carelessness and laziness and thus more likely to make examiners less generous with overall marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

i am worried about it too..i can't write nicely when i am in a hurry...

i had a urge to write ' i am sorry examiner my writing is so crap but i had to rush ' at the end of the booklet ...lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

theyl read it!

Advertisement