Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Laser charge for purchases below €10

Options
  • 12-06-2009 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Shocked and stunned

The Topaz shop in Raheen between the Highway and the Regional (Previously the ambassador).

Stopped off to buy a jar of pasta sauce the price was an already inflated €2.80 but I would expect that from a convenience store.

The lady at the cash register then proceeded to tell me because my purchase was below €10 I would have to pay an extra 20c, I asked why to which she reiterated the value of my purchase was below €10.

I thanked and told her I would take my custom elsewhere.

We are in a recession, is there any need for this blatant greediness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

* Q: Is there a minimum Laser transaction amount for Laser transactions?

A:

No, there is no minimum transaction value.

Source = http://www.lasercard.ie/faq.asp?id=83#q50

There never was and never will be. Never darken the door of that retailer again. :mad:

I understand why retailers do not wish to offer transactions for below €10 because there is a lot of paperwork that goes with it.

Retailers like to argue that they pay a % of the transaction to the banks but the payment they make is negligeble against the cost of Securicor to remove the cash from the building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Berty wrote: »
    * Q: Is there a minimum Laser transaction amount for Laser transactions?

A:

No, there is no minimum transaction value.

Source = http://www.lasercard.ie/faq.asp?id=83#q50

There never was and never will be. Never darken the door of that retailer again. :mad:

I understand why retailers do not wish to offer transactions for below €10 because there is a lot of paperwork that goes with it.

Retailers like to argue that they pay a % of the transaction to the banks but the payment they make is negligeble against the cost of Securicor to remove the cash from the building.

I never will darken that door again, also to add the shop was in quite a state, not very well stocked dark and with a curious odour.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Shocked and stunned

The Topaz shop in Raheen between the Highway and the Regional (Previously the ambassador).

Stopped off to buy a jar of pasta sauce the price was an already inflated €2.80 but I would expect that from a convenience store.

The lady at the cash register then proceeded to tell me because my purchase was below €10 I would have to pay an extra 20c, I asked why to which she reiterated the value of my purchase was below €10.

Such shops a real rip off.Stopped there circa early April.Petrol 1.18euro.Natch just got paper.1.13 in Corbally cross city.Had filled up 2 days before in Arklow for 1.02 per litre.Normally nice,hard working staff but I keep purchases to a minimum.Bet staff wages are at a bare minimum, though

On Fuel prices. Prices are set by the Topaz Regional Manager on the basis of what the competition are doing.

The Dock Rd only compete with each other and the Raheen Dooradoyle area the same.

If Corbally is €0.20c cheaper then it will not affect other parts of the city only Corbally. Although Corbally does compete with Thomondgate even though they are both Topaz.

Wonders of business eh? Missus used to run the Shell sites in Limerick years ago before Shell sold its retail business.

On the store in Dooradoyle. I never personally like the site. The shop is in dire need of a revamp and the forecourt needs a massive increase in size to cope with the influx of traffic it gets. There is a large area for parking out back. They really need to level the place and rebuild a new site with more parking out front and a nicer shop and hopefully get rid of the retailer. I never did like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Even the Fine wines at that location is overpriced compared too parnell st mallow st and thomondgate!
    Chinese is decent do!
    Petrol is 119.9 there and 116.9 2 secs up the road!

• Advertisement

Even the Fine wines at that location is overpriced compared too parnell st mallow st and thomondgate!
    Chinese is decent do!
    Petrol is 119.9 there and 116.9 2 secs up the road!

I hear you and agree even Spar, Centra are cheaper for beer these days.

btw
    Text police: its though not do, to not too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

its 2.80 dude surely you could have found that lyin around in the car, also spare a thought for the person behind you who is about to pay for stuff and bein held up by someone using a card to pay for 2.80 worth of stuff.

Christ above €2.80 with a card.

i'll pm you my number and next time your short give me a ring, hell you could even have asked a homeless guy outside to spot you the 2.80

anyway thats my rant about people paying with cards for ridiculously low prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

Shocked and stunned

Well first of all, Laser have recently increased their charges which now makes low value transcations a waste of time for retailers. They have also increased their charges considerably for cash back with purchases. A few retailers around Limerick have already dispensed with cash back and no longer offer it, I think the bookshop in the Crescent is definitely one as they had signs on display about it. Most nightclubs and pubs will accept Laser and offer cash back only once the transaction is a certain value (I think it's €25 in Trinity for example). I work in retail and our stores also no longer offer cash back. We do not accept Laser, Credit Card or Cheques for anything under €10 either. Unfortunately a convenience store cannot do this as a lot of their items are under €10.

Secondly, I'm sorry but paying for something costing €2.80 with a Laser card is a bit of a joke to start with. These card services aren't free you know, so if you're going to be using the card for low value items like this you shouldn't be that surprised if you're levied with a charge. And 20c is nothing when you consider the blatant rip off companies like Ryanair and Ticketmaster have been running for years with their €2.50/€5 charge per ticket/flight. At least 20c is an honest charge. If anyone is being greedy here it's Laser, not the retailer. Bare in mind Laser earns a bank money on every single transaction on every card, and it's not like they've done anything to justify an increase in charges....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There is an easy answer for anyone unhappy with the charge.

They should not give the shop any business again and point out why to friends and family.

Then they can get in touch with their bank and inform them that their purchase with the Lazer card was refused as there is no such thing as a minimum payment amount when using a lazer or credit card. What the bank can then do to the shop is cancel their credit card facilities, meaning the store can no longer receive any payments by lazer/credit card.

I have worked in retail management for large portions of my life, and yes low value purchases can be a pain in the neck from a charge pov, but it is more than covered by the mark up on larger sales by card.

If the store wants to charge extra in these times, don't give them business, then if enough people follow suit, it will cause a decrease in sales in that store.

http://www.lasercard.ie/faq.asp?id=83#q50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Thats just taking the piss - using your card for something that is €2.80

Most of these stores have an atm anyway. Just get out some cash and stop dicking about with cards for stuff below €10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

RonMexico wrote: »
    Thats just taking the piss - using your card for something that is €2.80

Most of these stores have an atm anyway. Just get out some cash and stop dicking about with cards for stuff below €10.

Why not ? Cards are the future. :p

I also hate the anti laser brigade also. Its simply plastic cash.

Easy to carry and safer than cash. Cash does not come with a pin number.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Some people will complain about anything. They'll probably complain about taking small denomination coins too.

It's a valid method of payment, and is certainly faster then some people who spend ages rooting for change.

Saying that I think the smallest lazer transaction I've done is €7-8. And I think I apologised. But feck it, it's all money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Retailers routinely have signs giving a 'minimum purchase' limit before a card can be used. Are these signs legal? ..and would they relate to the OP's problem?

Amalgam wrote: »
    Retailers routinely have signs giving a 'minimum purchase' limit before a card can be used. Are these signs legal? ..and would they relate to the OP's problem?

It is legal for a retailer to have a sign like that up, but they cannot enforce a minimum purchase limit as Lazer do not allow it. So if a retailer does try to enforce it or add a charge, all the customer has to do is report the retailer to the bank that issued their card, and the retail outlet could lose their ability to accept credit cards and debit cards.

Mastercard in particular are very quick to take action against retailers that try to add a charge or use a minimum purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

btw

Thanks for the free english lesson much appreciated...

:rolleyes:

Kess73 wrote: »
    all the customer has to do is report the retailer to the bank that issued their card, and the retail outlet could lose their ability to accept credit cards and debit cards.

Mastercard in particular are very quick to take action against retailers that try to add a charge or use a minimum purchase.
    You're saying a bank will suspend credit card facilities to a retailer over one transaction? Haha wishful thinking! They will no such thing. That bank would not only have have a long standing and fruitful relationship with the retailer, but also numerous accounts, payment facilities and loans. And if you have anything about you as a business person, you'll know your bank manager personally. Not a chance in a million years what you are saying would happen. Lazer charges are negotiable by the way, so if anything were to happen it would be that.

Lazer/credit cards are not designed for transcations of €2/€3 and anyone using them for that deserves all that's coming to them!

You're saying a bank will suspend credit card facilities to a retailer over one transaction? Haha wishful thinking! They will no such thing. That bank would not only have have a long standing and fruitful relationship with the retailer, but also numerous accounts, payment facilities and loans. And if you have anything about you as a business person, you'll know your bank manager personally. Not a chance in a million years what you are saying would happen. Lazer charges are negotiable by the way, so if anything were to happen it would be that.

Lazer/credit cards are not designed for transcations of €2/€3 and anyone using them for that deserves all that's coming to them!

What happens is the bank will check out whether the shop is indeed trying to pull a fast one by trying the minimum purchase scam. One transaction will not bring about withdrawal of credit card services, but it will get a fine issued, and repeat offences will see the credit card facilities withdrawn or a five figure fine imposed.

The local bank or bank manager is not who looks into it. Wishful thinking has nothing to do with it, it has being enforced in the US for years now and as of 1st May 2009 it can be enforced in any EU country.

Personally speaking I see the minimum purchase scam as a tactic used by the more underhanded retail outlets, and it shows up those who will pull any stroke to make a buck.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I was told last week the laser machine was "broken" in the shop when I was trying to buy 6 bavarias (€7.99) and was told to get cash out of the atm for them instead, Funnily enough the customer ahead of me managed to use her laser card without any issiues :rolleyes:

Nick

Debit/Credit cards are designed for any transaction.

"Q: Is there a minimum Laser transaction amount for Laser transactions?
    A: No, there is no minimum transaction value."

Source...

http://www.lasercard.ie/faq.asp?id=83#q50

I neither deserved or received anything coming to me, in fact the Topaz shop received and deserved everything they got within my limited power.

I took my custom to a nearby Spar and ended up spending over €20

I have relayed this avariciousness story to all family and friends who will never darken their door

I have posted it here and so far 359 people have read it.

btw it's laser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

btw

Text police: its by the way not btw!!! lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Its a small retail shop, ie a 'convenience', that's what they sell, 'convenience'. So it costs a little to process a Laser transaction, surely its worth it to keep the custom of a local?
    Have we really come so far from the times when local shops ran a book for credit to its regulars?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

baza1976 wrote: »
    Text police: its by the way not btw!!! lol :D
    BTW is acceptable in internet terms. ttyl, kk, omg etc are not.
    I have relayed this avariciousness story to all family and friends who will never darken their door

I have posted it here and so far 359 people have read it.

Ah c'mon. And 359 views doesn't mean 359 people have read this. In addition, I'd wager most people who have take a dim view of using a Laser card to buy a loaf of bread or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

why would they take a dim view, isn't that what the card is for??...I mean if you don't have the cash on you why shouldn't you use the card??..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Xennon wrote: »
    why would they take a dim view, isn't that what the card is for??...I mean if you don't have the cash on you why shouldn't you use the card??..

If they're dim. The whole point of a laser is to avoid the ATM. Use the laser and then get money out at the till if you want. Isn't that the point of a laser card? The whole extra 20 seconds that it takes for somebody to use the pin reader isn't going to kill anyone. And if that's a problem for you then be happy that your problems are so small.

To the OP. You were right to walk out. People need to cop on and avoid places that give crap service. We've been too happy with crappy service over the last few years. These days you get the impression that you're inconveniencing a cashier if you ask to pay for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

what about a situation where you have lets say €9.99 left in your account and thats all you have in the world. You cant draw this out from the atm and are we not meant to use our laser card just because we dont spend a tenner? F**K that.. If the bank aint open (which most of the time they are not, but thats a whole new thread), and their stupid atm's dont give out less that a tenner then im using my motherf**kin laser card so i can access MY money and i dont care if the total amount is €1. I pay charges for my cards so i refuse to let some greedy shopowner tell me i cant use my card if laser say i can then i can.. if the shop says no id report them to the bank and take my business elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

I dont see the problem with laser cards tbh. Its all people use in the states (their equivalent). Its how people want to spend their money,so surely retailers should try to accomodate without too much oppposition??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Kess73 wrote: »
    It is legal for a retailer to have a sign like that up, but they cannot enforce a minimum purchase limit as Lazer do not allow it. So if a retailer does try to enforce it or add a charge, all the customer has to do is report the retailer to the bank that issued their card, and the retail outlet could lose their ability to accept credit cards and debit cards.

Do you know why Ryanair get away with charging me €10 when I use my Mastercard online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

cooperguy wrote: »
    Do you know why Ryanair get away with charging me €10 when I use my Mastercard online?

i couldn't be certain but i'd say its cos ryanair are cheap bastards

• Advertisement

cooperguy wrote: »
    That's the case in point that proves banks and card companies will do sweet fa to any retailer/business who levies a charge - and god knows enough people have complained about this blatant rip-off.

Levies for low value purchases are going to continue to be a subject of debate until Laser start implementing more realistic charges for low value transactions. Retail is all about margins, and if a retailer can't make a minimum margin because of what Laser are charging to process a sale, well you're going to see more and more of this happening. In addition, and somebody can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that Laser double/triple charge retailers as well. Not only do they charge for the actual transaction, but they also charge for cashing in the receipts/processing the sales and also for the terminal rental. It all adds up, making low value transactions a waste of time which can only be rectified by Laser themselves i.e. the money hungry bank cartel who have debts to pay and are more likely to actually up the charges even more now :rolleyes:

Advertisement