Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Entertainment

Options
  • 12-06-2009 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

3.5k sq ft bungalow. Thinking of putting in home entertainment system along the lines of sound system in 4 rooms, surround sound for tv area, cat5e to all rooms etc.

But quotes for supply of wiring/equipment and plans for the sparky to follow are mad...

Any ideas on a cheaper way of doing it?

JOhn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dcom

Why not try run it yourself, thats what Im doing. I couldnt afford the prices I was quoted by the various companies.

cat5e cable is cheap enough to buy and easy to run yourself, speaker cable is the same.
    Lots of good advice online about do's and dont's
    Im still in the process of setting up my 'project' but Im fairly confident it will work even though Im a complete amateur at all things technical...
    You can buy sound systems and mutirooms systems like russound online much cheaper then if you go through one of the companies who set them up here. I decided on a system then looked through the manuals online to see what wires needed to be run.

First fix wiring took me a couple of saturdays i ran all the wires back to a central location, I fixed all the back boxes myself in a day or so. Now Im starting the 2nd fix (connecting the speakers etc)

It may not suit you because it does take a bit of time but Im glad to have some input into the build as im useless at everything else.....

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Hi, I'm approaching from the DIY route also. There may be a lot of information on the internet, but it's like finding a needle in a haystack!

The Automated Home website is quite useful, particularly the AV section.
    Another interesting blog is Media Center House, this fellow has spend a lot of time and effort on his setup.

I'm looking to use the Logitech Squeezebox system for audio, find it very easy to use (once set up!). Picked one up cheap in PC World (of all places!) a while ago.

If anyone has any links to other useful sites, please post!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This is probably better off in the HE Do It Yourself forum.

Moved from Construction & Planning

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

That media centre house looks brilliant and he gives great instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

dcom,

SOunds like ye are well into the fitting..can you give more details on what set up you are planning and how to go about it....

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement