Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building on a bog

Options
  • 12-06-2009 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Have a potential site on a bog.What is the first thing I need to do to see if a wooden self-build is possible? On a VERY limited budget.I don't see the house as the major expense..Which is the best authority to approach initally?.I am totally ignornant as to this process so any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated,advice on a reference book or such would help too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dcom

Hi Pinc.

We almost finished our new build which happens to be bog.

A lot of people suggested to us that we would be fine with a floating raft foundation but we sought professional advice from a structural engineer.

He advised us that the safest option was to put in pile driven foundations (they basically hammered re-enforced concrete poles into the ground until they were bedded on rock then placed re-enforced concrete beams on top of the piles and built our house on top

They cost around €45,000 for a 3800sq ft. They were a huge dent to our budget but, in my mind, worth it for the peace of mind. If you want I can give you the breakdown of the cost but I would have to dig it out from my 'filing system'.

We had test boreholes done at our site to see how far it was to rock, it cost €1200 as far as I can remember but it gave us a good indication of how far the piles would have to go.

If you want I can PM you more details.

I think you should consult with a structural engineer first as each site would be different.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

I would definately go down the route of piling the site as opposed to a raft. The cost could of a piles solution could be minimised by carrying out a site investigation. There are a number of companies about the place, so depending on your location, I could recommend a few....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just because it looks like bog doesnt mean its going to be a deep site. I would only suggest piling if its very very deep before you find a solid strata. First thing would be assess what the possibilities of planning permission are.
    I would then dig some holes with an ordinary excavator to see if you can hit a solid surface. Chances are it would be no more than about 3 feet (in alot of cases). A raft will be fine in a case like this. Piles are useful in the case where the solid layer is at a depth that you couldnt possibly consider digging out all the bog and filling with stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

pinc wrote: »
    Have a potential site on a bog.What is the first thing I need to do to see if a wooden self-build is possible? On a VERY limited budget.I don't see the house as the major expense..Which is the best authority to approach initally?.I am totally ignornant as to this process so any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated,advice on a reference book or such would help too

A reference book is fine for background reading but the foundations are the most important structural element of the house You really need professional advice from an engineer. You will need professional input to sign off the foundations for drawdown of funds from the bank in any case
    Johnniep wrote: »
    The cost could of a piles solution could be minimised by carrying out a site investigation. There are a number of companies about the place, so depending on your location, I could recommend a few....

If it is a bog then Site Investigation is definitely the way to go but only by someone experienced and qualified to do it.
    mickdw wrote: »
    I would then dig some holes with an ordinary excavator to see if you can hit a solid surface. Chances are it would be no more than about 3 feet (in alot of cases). A raft will be fine in a case like this.
    If you are only talking 3ft you could well be into normal strip footings with a suspended ground floor.
    dcom wrote: »

I think you should consult with a structural engineer first as each site would be different.
    D

Very good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Irjudge1 wrote: »
    A reference book is fine for background reading but the foundations are the most important structural element of the house You really need professional advice from an engineer. You will need professional input to sign off the foundations for drawdown of funds from the bank in any case

If it is a bog then Site Investigation is definitely the way to go but only by someone experienced and qualified to do it.

If you are only talking 3ft you could well be into normal strip footings with a suspended ground floor.

Very good advice.

indeed

• Advertisement
Advertisement