Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it common for landlords to request utility bills as references?

Options
  • 12-06-2009 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just found out today from a letting agency that the house I was viewing and hoping to rent has been given the green light. However the letting agency
    has said that the new landlord requires not just the usual previous landlord's reference and one from work BUT also the utility bill from my last residence?
    Can anyone shed any light on why the landlord would need to see a utility bill?

I asked the letting agency but they don't know why the landlord has requested this.

I do have a U.B in my name and it is up to date, but I'm thinking it's kinda strange request!!

Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Maybe to see that you as a tenant pay your utility bills. Lots of landlords are afraid of being stung with unpaid utility bills when their tenants leave or worse - their esb turned off which means the landlord has to fork out a reconnection charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Prob to prove that you lived at that address otherwise the prev landlord ref could be a letter from a mate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Makes perfect sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I always ask for one.

Landlords referenced easily faked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement