Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for the teachers...

Options
  • 12-06-2009 4:27pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, I'm currently doing the LC and thinking that 2nd level teaching is something I'd be interested in. I'm still not 100% sure though, so my question to you is this: When did you realise you wanted to become a teacher? Was it early on? After your degree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My first week on teaching practice. Before then it was a way to stay in college and get a qualification that could lead to a job. But once I stepped into the classroom I realised that it was what I really wanted. The risk paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭loveroflight

since I was a small child. And I've never regretted it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

From a very young age, but was not sure until my first day teaching after the Dip. When I was actually totally in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Teacher 28

Always wanted to be a Teacher. At it 7 yrs now. Can be stressful at times - pressure for top results / demanding parents / average pay for a tough job ... but very rewarding. It's a great buzz when kids say nice things about you and appreciate your efforts and seeing them do well. Annoying seeing the lazy teachers get praise though!!

Go for it!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Doubly annoying hearing ignorant people tarring teachers with the one brush.

They ALL get three months holidays.
    They ALL are home at four every day.
    They ALL get paid a fortune.

Remember when students do well in exams it's all down to their hard work, when they do badly, it's the teacher's fault.

I never wanted to be anything else. I chose to teach in very difficult circumstances, in an area and type of school that many other teachers would avoid and I don't regret it. To be honest though, the removal of resources for the kids I teach, the cutting back of essentials like the JCSP and JCSP library services, the cutting back of special needs, the taking away of learning support from the very weakest of kids, along with the continual erosion of pay and working conditions is starting to get to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I always wanted to be a teacher, ever since I was a little kid. I don't know why really, was just drawn to it.

Advertisement