Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading to the new iPhone 3g s

Options
  • 12-06-2009 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Iphone owners,

Do you plan on upgrading to the 3gs when its released on the 26th of June??

Ill be upgrading as soon as I can, but most likely not through O2, ill be first trying to get my hand on an unlocked one in Belgium.

Will you be upgrading tothe new iphone 3gs on June 26th? 43 votes

Yes, I will.
    0% 0 votes
    No. Im happy with my current iPhone
    32% 14 votes
    Yes, but not straight away, maybe in a few months.
    37% 16 votes
    Not sure, ill see what the reviews say when its released
    30% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'll wait and see what the price plans are.

If it's €30 a month for the older 3G model, then I will go with that (have a 1st Gen model).

Any more doesn't interest me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I'm going to wait and see how much it costs to upgrade and also wait until the Palm Pre and Samsung i7500 launches here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

If O2 would give me an upgrade, and if I had the cash, yes, in an instant. However, I doubt O2 will give me an upgrade and I don't have the spare cash, so later on. There's nothing massive there that I need anyways. 3.0 by itself will do me for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

chrislad wrote: »
    If O2 would give me an upgrade, and if I had the cash, yes, in an instant. However, I doubt O2 will give me an upgrade and I don't have the spare cash, so later on. There's nothing massive there that I need anyways. 3.0 by itself will do me for the moment.

Same here. I think the fact that they're giving existing owners the 3.0 is going to keep most people happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭newfrontier

how much will the 3g iphones go for now ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Due an upgrade in a couple of months, but it would have to be a decent offer to get me reaching in my pocket. Would just love a good on-phone camera, so I'd think about it.

Am already mindful of next year and a probably completely revamped model that we'll all want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

but wont every1 that bought the 3g on its release date last year be entitled to an upgrade around about now?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I don't see that there is really that much difference between the current iPhone and the 3GS...network performance will determine speeds, this won't change overnight and I might have taken 10 photos in 12 months on my 3G. So the camera / video was never a selling point for me

The 3.0 OS will do me just fine...for the moment

cojomo2 wrote: »
    but wont every1 that bought the 3g on its release date last year be entitled to an upgrade around about now?

Nope, 18 month contract. By the time my upgrade is due, there will more than likely be another one about to be announced!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Nope, 18 month contract. By the time my upgrade is due, there will more than likely be another one about to be announced!

even on an 18 month contract you'll likely be eligible for an upgrade after 12 months based on the monthly spend.

I'll prob upgrade when mine is available.

• Advertisement

CivilEx wrote: »
    I don't see that there is really that much difference between the current iPhone and the 3GS...network performance will determine speeds, this won't change overnight and I might have taken 10 photos in 12 months on my 3G. So the camera / video was never a selling point for me

The 3.0 OS will do me just fine...for the moment

It's doesn't have to change though, the increased speed is massive to HDSPA and O2 already have that rolled out to much of the cities at least. Performance seems impressive based on the feedback on their 3G modems at least.

copacetic wrote: »
    even on an 18 month contract you'll likely be eligible for an upgrade after 12 months based on the monthly spend.

I'll prob upgrade when mine is available.

I just about get to the 45 a month. No way will I get one at 12 months!

I just about get to the 45 a month. No way will I get one at 12 months!

I'm the same and have been told I will and pretty much everyone else has been told they will hit the upgrade eligibility at 12 months. There is a thread on talk2o2 forum specifically to ask, worth a post there.

Nice. That means I'm due on July 17th then :)

Will see if I can scape money together. I'll probably be able to sell the 3G one for most of the cost anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Haven't got an iPhone but theres no way i'd buy one until i can get it on payg and not this early, I'll probably buy the 10th edition

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

I bought an iPhone around this time last year, just check the O2 website and I'm eligible for a Gold upgrade.

So I assume they'll let me upgrade to the 3GS?? Not that i'm going to :D

akadesign wrote: »
    I bought an iPhone around this time last year, just check the O2 website and I'm eligible for a Gold upgrade.

Question: if u are eligible for upgrade after 12 months, and you take it, do you start a brand new 18mnth contract, or is it 18mths for the new one plus 6 left from the old one =24 months?

What's your average bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Question: if u are eligible for upgrade after 12 months, and you take it, do you start a brand new 18mnth contract, or is it 18mths for the new one plus 6 left from the old one =24 months?

No, I'd say it will start another 18 months, no way their going to give you an S when you can feck off somewhere else in 6 months.
    What's your average bill?

About 70 quid a month.

No, I'd say it will start another 18 months, no way their going to give you an S when you can feck off somewhere else in 6 months.

About 70 quid a month.

Think you misunderstood my question..basically, if you upgrade at the 12 month mark, and sign a new contract with the 3gs, are you then tied to o2 for both the remainder of the original contract and the new 1 (total 24 months) or just the new 1 (18 months)? also, if u maintain your monthly spend, would you be entitled to upgrade every 12 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Lads im gutted i held out on buying one till last month when everybody told me all that would improve is memory and that was never an issue so basically apple just too 500 quid off me and now want another flucking 500:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't you mean you just gave them €500 and now you want to give them another €500. It's not like anyone's forcing you here.

Lads im gutted i held out on buying one till last month when everybody told me all that would improve is memory
    Were you getting your advice from some Amish people?! There were loads of other things people were saying were going to be on the phone. A better still and new video camera for two...

Dades wrote: »
    Were you getting your advice from some Amish people?! There were loads of other things people were saying were going to be on the phone. A better still and new video camera for two...

agreed, if anything there is lot less change in the 3G than expected. If someone tells you 'english, there will only be increase in barn storage with the new iPhone' don't believe them! They aren't up to date on the tech stuff.

Saw in the News of the World today that the 3GS is going to be free on a 45e a month contract. Guess they're in dreamland!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mcloke

Saw in the News of the World today that the 3GS is going to be free on a 45e a month contract. Guess they're in dreamland!

Maybe on a 5 year contract :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

If your looking for an upgrade, O2 might not give it. There has been murder in the UK as O2 have been refusing to upgrade customers who upgraded to the new 3g version from the original.

As these customers only upgraded a year ago, and still have 6 months left, they appear not to be allowing it again.

That was what I read about 2 weeks ago. I work in the phone business so if I hear anything before the 26th, ill post a reply

The Bin Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Dades wrote: »

oh look a clever dick behind a computer haha bite me i held out and then everyone i was talking to said it would just be extra gigs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

It has some nice small upgrades but I really can't see the reason to upgrade from the 3g model.

Perhaps if you have a first gen iPhone it might be a nice move.

I bought a new 3g about 2 months ago and I love it. Well apart from the nice scratch I put on the chrome bezel :(

• Advertisement

oh look a clever dick behind a computer haha bite me i held out and then everyone i was talking to said it would just be extra gigs
    Shoulda talked with a few cleverer dicks. :)

Advertisement