Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is my neighbour??????

Options
  • 12-06-2009 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I'm having a few issues with my neighbour (absentee landlord) regarding overgrowing trees (his into my garden).

Biggest problem is not knowing who the landlord is and how to contact them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ihaveanopinion

Ask the current tenants or the agent renting the place

• Registered Users Posts: 6 toffeepop

No tenants seem to be there for the last few months - no sign of life, except for the trees that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Graaaaa

Have you tried the land-registry? All land ownership should be with them, including name and address of owner at time of transfer of ownership. Of course there can be glitches but a good starting point and not expensive I believe.
    Have a search on the forum - I can recall others discussing the by-laws around cutting neighbours trees overhanging your property but I can't recall who has the right to do what. There is definitely a UK law, not that it is much use here, brought into being in the context of those leylandii - see here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leylandii
    best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The bible says your neighbour is...........:D

Why not put a note in the letterbox stating the trees need a trim/cut and to contact you urgently, do not date the note. I'm sure post is being picked up, if not the post office will have a PO box.

Otherwise maybe the ESB would know. When a tennent leaves a premises the ESB account usually reverts to the landlord's name, worth a try.

In the UK, there is a simple rule that states that you may cut overhanging branches, but you need to return the cuttings to the neighbour.

Technically the tree is trespassing, but the cuttings are still the property of the owner, you could be done for theft if you keep them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement