Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Posters - Plastic Ties

Options
  • 12-06-2009 2:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭

Now one week after the elections the posters that were so enthuiastically put up are now been taken down...

Most of them anyways.

Now this issue will seem trivial in the greater scheme of things..world hunger...infant mortality....spread of aids....yada....yada...yada...but !

Why is it..I say why is it that political parties who are expected to show good example can get away with expending thousands of euro on flyers leaflets and posters - most of which end up unread in the bin ?

And to add insult to injury ..when they take down the posters they leave the unsightly plastic ties festooning the poles for years to come.

How can these people..I say how can these people expect the general public to be serious about litter (see recent media about beach litterin during recent hot spell) if they just leave the poles in such an unsightly condition ?

Surely The Greens ..if they have any credibility could have an agreement with the other parties that the PLASTIC TIES are removed with the POSTERS.

Or is their attitude to litter just lip service......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭positron

+1

I will never vote for someone who litters the towns and villages with their own ugly pictures printed on thick plastic (of all things..!) sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 marganne

I am reactivating this discussion that seems to go on after every election and referendum.

I have just walked up the Wyckham Bypass in Dundrum, a distance of perhaps quarter of a mile and counted 21 of those ugly plastic ties. Obviously the political party 'workers' were out in force yesterday to take down the posters so as not to incur littering penalties, but what about penalties for throwing the plastic ties on the footpaths.

This happens after every election or referendum, and I see them tere for months afterwards, until they eventually get washed down the paths and into the shores. They are also dangerous as they are on the cycle paths and if caught in a bicycle could cause great injury. or perhaps trip up walkers.

Also the bypass (footpath) is never swept and there are huge amounts of empty bottles, cans and coffee cups lying around. There is an ESB box at one stage and lots of people coming up to it think its a litter bin, until they get there, so then leave their disposable stuff on the top. Maybe if there were some litter bins this would not be so bad.

I must close now before dI go ranting on about something else, ie dog business!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 marganne

Just realised the first mention of these ties in 2007 complained of them being left on poles, well seemingly that worked, but now they cut them off and throw them on the ground!!

LOGIC!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Report littering.

http://www.dublincity.ie/WaterWasteEnvironment/Waste/Litter/Pages/ReportPollutionLitter.aspx

Bit late now but photos before would be good.

It would be nice if all parties used colour coded cable ties for traceability.

*wonders if there is a market for biodegradable cable ties*

Advertisement