Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preferred route for N21 Adare to Abbeyfeale.

Options
  • 12-06-2009 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

This is my drawing of the proposed N21.

This route is preferance is based on, attracting as much traffic from the existing N21 as possible and also most direct.

The Purple are full proper interchanges.
    Two at Rathekeale, One at NWC and the last at Abbeyfeale for Listowel and North Kerry Traffic.

The pink dots, are LILO compact interchanges to allow for local traffic access, or can be at grade. I would prefer over grade. This route would be 2+2. From Rathekeale to Adare should be DC, and from Adare to the M20 free flow interchange should be under motorway restrictions.

N21_Adare_Kerry.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Whats with the big loop south of Rathkeale Mysterious?

I actually hope they bypass Abbeyfeale to the east as well as it would make more sense however there is some high terrain around this region which might make it difficult.

I thought all junctions on a 2+2 are LILO's? I could be wrong as I havnt actually driven on one of these but I have on a 2+1 which were all LILO's I think on the N20.

Also since this thread is on the N21 I got futher information about the Castleisland bypass:
    The works include the construction of 3 roundabouts, 11 major structures
    (1 River bridge, 3 road bridges, 3 culverts, and 4 underpasses).

If there is a roundabout on the Limerick side of Castleisland it will be an absolute disgrace. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

tech2 wrote: »
    Whats with the big loop south of Rathkeale Mysterious?

I actually hope they bypass Abbeyfeale to the east as well as it would make more sense however there is some high terrain around this region which might make it difficult.

I thought all junctions on a 2+2 are LILO's? I could be wrong as I havnt actually driven on one of these but I have on a 2+1 which were all LILO's I think on the N20.

You mean the red line where the old road loops back onto the Rathkeale road. That is a slight error.

The reason I want the the Abbeyfeale bypass to go North for a a very important reason. This is why I'm suited to this job:) The North Kerry and Listowel traffic joins the N21 at Abbeyfeale as do the bus eireann fleet. If the bypass alignment goes south of the town, then the bypass proves less efficient.

Well most of them are, but I prefer to see the NWC and Rathekeale exists full proper flyovers, as traffic would be considerable exiting these points.

But what do you think of the route. Techy did I answer your question on the loop??

They managed to put a flyover on the Cahir bypass when that opened in the early 90s. The NRA is getting to hideous to be true. With future traffic levels projections, 3 roundabout in the space of 3/4km Is an absaloute joke imo, especially on the Limerick exit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

All 2+2s have roundabout junctions. Bear in mind this would probably have been WS2 or 2+1 unless those had been scrapped.

2+2 I guess is ok so long as space for grade separation is left.

• Advertisement

I have confirmation that the Castleisland bypass will have 3 roundabouts

Two at the N21 at each end of the Town and one a the N23. F**k sake the route is only 5km long!!!! arrrgghh :mad:

Why not have a underbridge or a overbridge an there would have been no need for roundabouts on the N21 mainline. One word:cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The N25 scheme at Kilmacthomas has no right turns at all, all the junctions are grade separated. This is the way it should be. as for roundabout junctions ffs, don't get me started.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

I'm not convinced about going north of Abbeyfeale seems overkill to me (but I do see the dilemma with the Listowel traffic) Everything else I'd agree with

Slightly off topic: What are your opinions on the new proposed route for the Adare by pass ...interesting....

All 2+2s have roundabout junctions. Bear in mind this would probably have been WS2 or 2+1 unless those had been scrapped.

2+2 I guess is ok so long as space for grade separation is left.

The Nenagy bypass had all grade separated traffic. We are getting obsessed with roundabouts and its getting outragous imo. ROs IMO is just lazy non forwardness planning. This bypass is not exactly a local road, its connecting the Whole of Kerry To the rest of the country. Three Roundabouts for 5km is an overkill. With the space plentiful, why cant they put a compact LILO interchange here.

There really should by a Compact GSJ, for the Limerick side the N21 infairness. Three huge roundabouts is such as waste for a 5km long road......... Like what the hell is wrong with people in this country.

Its not a question of learning from our mistakes, the answer is, lets be an idiot all the time.

untitled.jpg

Blue is the bypass route
    Green is the interchange(where the roundabout was proposed) and the existing N21.
    Brown is the local roads.

it's no brainer.

Do it right:mad:

• Advertisement

I'm not convinced about going north of Abbeyfeale seems overkill to me (but I do see the dilemma with the Listowel traffic) Everything else I'd agree with

I agree, its pointless. The Abbeyfeale-Listowel road is a regional road, the routing shouldnt be dictated on this. However it does carry a high amount of traffic for a r road. I will stick to a bypass on the east of the town. It would also have to be 2 or 3 km away from the town itself as that area is very built up.
    Slightly off topic: What are your opinions on the new proposed route for the Adare by pass ...interesting...

A hideous windy route being constructed.

This scheme covers approximately 45 km of the N21 from Kilkinlea Lower, Abbeyfeale to Garraunboy, Adare and will incorporate bypasses for the towns of Abbeyfeale and Newcastle West.

Firstly why is all the route from Adare-Abbeyfeale being redone? Simple bypasses for Abbeyfeale and NCW would be fine. Also 5km of awful road south of NCW too. Maybe its because sections of the current road are not capable of 2+2 upgrade. The Rathkeale bypass is fine why upgrade that section?

It looks to be a waste of money. Also Mysterious I think your route is too long and I wouldnt be in favour of a bypass to the North west of abbeyfeale.

Advertisement