Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I dont know what to do

Options
  • 11-06-2009 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have just found out i am having a baby and so scared. I am under 18 and afraid what my family will think. Feel like crying and never stopping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hi OP,

It is indeed scary facing into an unplanned pregnancy, but you don't have to be alone. Have you any friends, family or trusted teachers you can talk to? I know your head is probably reeling from all of this, but there are people out there who can help you. See the link below for a list of confidential, non-judgemental agencies who can offer support to you.

A lot of us here have faced into an unplanned pregnancy, I know I did. If you need to talk here in this thread then I am sure you will find that our friendly Parenting community will be hear to listen.

Best of luck - your life isn't over, you just need to sit down and have a considered think about what this pregnancy means for you and your future. You should also inform the father too - he has both a right and a responsibility to have input into any decision you make.

http://www.crisispregnancy.ie/positive.html

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

I don't know what your situation is but, I was 19 when I had my son(I am now 40).It felt like the end of my world(as everyone tells you your life is ruined). You will get all sorts of advice but go with your gut feeling and do what is right for you, my son is now 21 and was the most amazing thing to happen to me. Things were tough financially and emotionally but the rewards are greater. Telling your parents can be very hard but when it is done, the relief! Good luck to you whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Hey OP, as embee said lots of us have faced an unplanned pregnancy. Mine was completely unplanned and a total shock. Myself and my bf talked long and hard about what the best thing to do was seeing as we hadn't planned on having a baby for a good few years. I know it's awful at the start, you don't know what to do or where to turn and you probably keep changing your mind about what the best thing to do is but it'll all work out!!!

If you need to talk let me know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you need help or need to talk let us know.
    My baby was also not planned but I was older.
    I know it may feel like the end of the world to you now but it can work out well.
    *hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am still in a panic. I keep feeling my stomach and I told my boyfriend and he is older and really happy and I am just scared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I had my eldest when I had just turned 20 and it was tough but so worth it. I am now 28 and married to his dad and we have had another since and I have another on the way. The last few years have been tough financially and I only got to finish college last year but we made it through an I couldn't imagine a better outcome.

My advice would be to talk to someone you trust, maybe an aunt or someone that knows your parents that may have an idea how they will react and how you should approach them. Your gp will also be a good person to talk to. They can give you advice on the practical details that you will need to know and also give you counselling or refer you to one.

The fact that your boyfriend is happy about this will hopefully ease a little pressure as your not on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭KittenCaboodle

Hey OP, did you talk to Positive Options about this?

http://www.positiveoptions.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Hi Op,

I was 19 when I found out I was pregnant, my partner was mid 20's. Like you I was absolutely terrified and he was delighted. I wasnt quite sure exactly what I wanted to do. Ultimately you have to make the decision for yourself and no one else. I dont regret having my little boy but sometimes I think about what could have been.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make.
    If you ever need someone to chat to you can PM or MSN you...I will be honest with you.

Madz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

I can imagine how scared you are of telling your parents becasue you are young but the only thing is once the baby comes they will forget about ever being angry or disappointed. My brother and his girlfriend went through the same thing, didn't tell her parents till she was 6 months but now neither grandparents could imagine not having the child around.

I'm pregnant and afraid of telling my boss! I think no matter how old you are there is always someone you are afraid to tell.

You'll get through this and even though rite now it seems like there are going to be tonnes of changes in your life you'll adapt and be fine. You will be surprised how well everyone will react once the baby comes.

Advertisement