Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW1 sites to see?

Options
  • 11-06-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Heading to France and Belgium next week for the long longed for tour of the WW1 sites. I have a couple of Major Holts guides, but TBH honest the amount to see is huge. I wondering if any from here could recommend a must see that they have experienced. Some trenches obviously, museums, there seems to be thousands, cemetery's, My search for my Great Grandfather has come to a dead end so I'm not tied down. Probably be starting at Albert, I've read there is a fantastic underground museum there and from there who knows.
    I realise that it's a huge task giving the size of the battlefields and I probably should have started a plan a year ago, but I'd rather just play it by ear and see what I can rather than plan and be disappointed if I get lost or whatever, it is a holiday after all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Vimy ridge would be a good place in France and I would also suggest ypres in Belgium. I think www.cwgc.org might have some good suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you want to tie in a bit of Irish political history as well go to Loker, near Ieper and Mesen and have a look just outside the walls of the little British cemetary behind the local church. And while you drive into the town keep in mind that the steep succession of hills you drive over coming from Mesen weren't hills but one solid ridge : Messines Ridge.

Advertisement