Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting boat from Rosslare - which train from Dublin should I get?

Options
  • 11-06-2009 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I'm just looking for some opinions on this one...

This Sunday I am getting the boat from Rosslare to France. I need to get to Rosslare from Dublin, so I am thinking of getting the train.

The boat leaves at 6 PM.

Should I get the train that arrives in Rosslare at 12.30, or the train that arrive at 16.30? Obviously I'd rather not be hanging around the station for 6 hours, but Irish transport is crap and I'm worried the 16.30 train could get cancelled or something like that...

What do you reckon I should do - get the early train and relax with a book for a few hours?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It takes some time to get from station to ship, so the 1630 might be cutting it close.

There is also the bus option.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In any other country where the ferry port was owned by the railway company you'd know for a fact that the 16:30 would do.

How early do Stena say you 'have' to check in by? An hour or half an hour before sailing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The station and terminal are a 10-15 minutes walk apart.

Trains on the Rosslare route tend to be fairly reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Hi, slightly off topic, but I travelled many times on the old Normandy ferry years ago. I've never been on the new boat, I'd love to know what it's like!

Enjoy your trip, and perhaps, would you tell us what it was like, and how you got on? Be interested to know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just double checked my ticket at the boat is at 15.30, so looks like I have to get the early train. :)

I've gotten the bus before - it's grand - but the train is nicer.

@HydeRoad: Yep have gotten the Normandy myself many times! I will let you know what the new boat is like. Hopefully the food has improved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

MYOB wrote: »
    How early do Stena say you 'have' to check in by? An hour or half an hour before sailing?

Maybe not quite the same but I've seen cars arrive for the HSS in Dun Laoghaire with less than 10 minutes to spare and get on no problem.

Iirc the last time I was on it there was no big deal with pedestrian checkin either, half an hour is probably enough...

Advertisement