Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Dog Neutering Question

Options
  • 11-06-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Got our dog neutered today, he is a male samoyed! However i looked at the wound a few mins ago and it looks as if his testicles are still there. I thought a neutering Op removed the testicles?

Am i wrong or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Odd, I also thought neutering removed the testicles... unless they just cut the cord but normally it's removal.
    Are you sure it's them or perhaps is it just swollen? If you're in doubt I'd ring your vet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

star-pants wrote: »
    Odd, I also thought neutering removed the testicles... unless they just cut the cord but normally it's removal.
    Are you sure it's them or perhaps is it just swollen? If you're in doubt I'd ring your vet

He is going back in 10 days to get the stitches out, I dont see the point in snipping the sperm duct as the whole point of neutering a male dog is to reduce the production of testosterone!!!
    Id say its just swelling! Ill keep an eye on it though

Aye just keep an eye, my Lhasa Apso pup got neutered (female) and her tummy was swollen for a while, we actually ended up having to get more anti-bs for her, but then it settled down a good bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Some vets give good specimen thoroughbreds the snip instead of castrations as only entire males can be shown. Two of my clients dogs got snipped this way. But surely if you didn't specify this then they should have castrated him.
    It could be just swelling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I got my dog (Jack Russell) neutered last Friday and when I brought him home, it didn't look a lot different aside from the redness and stitches, however things have shrunk in the last few days, so he's definitely been castrated :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I worked as a Vets Assistant and we used to tell clients that if they thought it looked like the testicles were still there it's just the swelling, it was a common problem in larger breeds, it should go down over the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

After a dog is castrated, he may still get 'excited' form time to time. The swelling of the glans penis at the base of the penis itself can look very like testicles just sitting ever so slightly higher than the scrotum. I've seen this before and it does look like testicles.
    Dogs anatomy is quite different to humans'...
    It may be just swelling though, after the testicles are removed, it leaves a 'dead space' in the scrotum where they used to be, and this has a habit from time to time of swelling after surgery. Just keep an eye on him, the swelling is usually accompanied by scrotal bruising too, if it looks really red, painful, or there is any discharge from the incision, get him back down to the vets.
    It would be very unusual, and irresponsible for a vet to vasectomise a dog when he was in for a routine neutering procedure, it kinda defeats the purpose, so don't worry!

Thanks guys for the responses!!!

Im sure this is just swelling however im gonna keep a close eye on the fella over the next few days!
    Again thanks guys for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Hi Hogzy,

This is generally the case, when you get home from the vets, you ahve a look and you think the vet has just done you!! The swelling goes down and 'the'y eventually shrink down ....In a while you will think there was nothing ever there :D

Im obvouisly talking about the dog there ... not yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Had my boxer done a few weeks ago myself, same thing, swelling went down after a couple of days, bruising faded after about a week. Prevent excessive licking and don't let him bite at the stitches and you should be grand.

Did they give you an e-collar to put on him? I left one on mine for a couple of days after it, he didn't care for it first obviously but after about 15 minutes he realised that it made a good battering ram and got well into wearing it :D

Someone said he looks like a nun here :D

3492615072_c094b278ee_m.jpg

• Advertisement

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Had my boxer done a few weeks ago myself, same thing, swelling went down after a couple of days, bruising faded after about a week. Prevent excessive licking and don't let him bite at the stitches and you should be grand.

Did they give you an e-collar to put on him? I left one on mine for a couple of days after it, he didn't care for it first obviously but after about 15 minutes he realised that it made a good battering ram and got well into wearing it :D

Someone said he looks like a nun here :D
    LOL :D

DSC00136.jpg

Awh they're gorgeous

My Lily had to get a cone too when she got neutered but it was for a dew claw removal (the cone) rather than her tummy
    n636346843_1208748_4436.jpg

Conehead pets should have their own thread here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Haha, I couldn't put a cone on my greyhound when he had a wound stitched up on his hock (which he kept licking at) because it made him too wide to fit through the dog-flap. :)

In the couple of days my boxer was wearing his, he never seemed to manage to figure out his new dimensions, I partly put that down to his lack of spatial awareness but it was pretty obvious that he delighted in his extra bulk pushing my other dog around.

OP, how's your dog doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

My dog's booked in for the week after next to be neutured. Thing is he's well capable of slipping out of his collar when he's being stubborn on a walk ( doesn't matter how tight you have it) so i'm wondering how secure are those head cones. I'd hate to come down one morning to find him sitting there all innocent beside the cone after managing to slip out of it overnight and furiously nipping at his stitches.

Hey Gidget,

The e-collars I have seen have loops on the bottom that you feed your dog's collar through. You would just have your collar tightened to the point where you can only get 2 fingers inside it between it and your dog's neck. I don't think it will be as easy for him to wriggle out of as it can be on your walks as, on your walks, he has the tension of the lead to use as leverage. The e-collars are smooth so they can't really get a purchase on anything with them to pull them off.

Your vet should also give you an appropriately sized one for your dog.

Its also not a foregone conclusion that he will worry his stitches - many dogs don't bother with them - just keep an eye on how he's behaving. He may be more tempted to interfere with them after a few days when they start to heal and itch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

Thanks Bluefrog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Blankie

Just got my dog fixed today. How long do you need to leave the collar on?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

My Westie got his stitches out yesterday but he's still got a little flap in the back. I totally forgot to ask the vet about it but he said he healed nicely. Didn't get any cone for him, vet feels they stress the dogs out too much so we just had to keep an eye on his licking and if we felt it was excessive then doggie would need cone. Amazingly, he left it fairly alone and no need for further stress.

• Advertisement

I think it depends on the dog - my fella wasn't too happy for about 10 minutes but then he did fine with his. I only put it on him at night for the first few days - I was there most of the time during the day (work from home) so I could supervise him but he didn't tend to go at the wound either. After the first few days I was confident enough about him to leave him without it at night.

My two cents would be that its better the first night until you have time to assess how he is with the wound and the first 24 hours would have the highest risk of infection or splitting. You also need to watch him later in the healing process as the wound may get itchy and draw his attention.

Thanks so much. He seems so much better today. Think Ill leave it on because he is constantly trying to scratch, better to be safe then sorry :)

One quick question, I had my bitch spayed 3 years ago and she was feeling better the next day. My dog is still out of sorts after 2 days. Does anyone know why or is it just amale/female thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Different dogs react differently. All of my dogs have been fine after neutering/spaying, until recently when we had Nannuq done. She was really dozy for a couple of days and feeling very sorry for herself, but she's fine now. I guess she's just more of a drama queen than the others:D

Advertisement